Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to efile due to NYS withholding being too high

DanCoc
Level 2

ProSeries Professional:  I have a new client, has a high withholding on his wages for NYS in order to cover taxes on other income.  Claims he has e-filed in the past.  In ProSeries I am getting an e-file error that because his NYS withholding is over 25% he has to mail in his returns.  This doesn't seem the season to be mailing in anything, let alone a Federal return, the NYS withholding doesn't even impact the Federal since he is not itemizing.  So I am checking to see if others have had a similar situation.  If anyone has had this in the past and found a work around or has an idea on how to get around this.  Please share.  Much appreciated.

Thanks,
[personal information removed] 
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
PATAX
Level 15

Dan, I think someone else with a similar situation had a post about this recently on this forum.... Do a search and you should be able to find it period.... Good luck...

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

what happens if you pull the excess NY withholding from the W2 and enter it as NY Estimated payments?  would that fly,  or will NY not recognize it properly?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
lauriem33
Level 4

It would most likely let efile go through but there might be a problem with the IT2s not matching up.  The client might get a letter requesting W2 copies.   It could still be worth it.

0 Cheers
DanCoc
Level 2

An option but NYS matches estimates and withholdings, they will hold up a return if payments don't agree. Then you need to submit W2s for review, not sure if this would open up more work down the road.

0 Cheers
DanCoc
Level 2

Are you referring to a NYS withholding question or another State, I searched and all I came up with was a question on IL and the response was to mail it in.  If you have another discussion that you can prior me the subject line on this I would appreciate it.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

He should probably consider ES payments in the future to avoid this problem.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
lauriem33
Level 4

I think it would, not to mention the client getting a letter never makes them happy.

0 Cheers