Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did the Republicans claim that $1,400 of the $2,000 child tax credit was "REFUNDABLE" when it is a LIE?

jlief
Level 1

Like the $1000 of the tuition credit is fully refundable, even with $ 0.00000 of any income, including $ 0.00 of earned income.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The "refundable" part the of Child Tax Credit has pretty much followed the SAME rules it has for many years (it requires "earned" income).  So if you dislike those rules, those rules have been there for at least 20 years (probably there since 1986).

Actually, the new tax law made the refundable part EASIER to get (it lowers the "earned" income starting point to $2500, rather than it used to be $3000).

View solution in original post

14 Comments 14
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
It is known as "additional child tax credit" Lets not turn this forum into political debates
0 Cheers
jlief
Level 1
I'm not making this question political, it's just that the latest tax law was created by Republicans, and THEY were the people who "advertised" that $1,400 of the $2,000 child tax credit would be refundable.  As I stated, $1,000 of the tuition credit is fully refundable, even with $ 0.00 income. And, either a credit is refundable or not. If you have $ 0.00 earned income you get $ 0.00 child tax credit, which is certainly a lot less than $1,400 refundable, huh??
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Nobody lied, they just didn't include all the details.  UP TO $1400 is refundable.  And its based on your "earned income" as to how much can be refunded.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jlief
Level 1
Obviously. However, THAT was not advertised by the people who got the billed passed. It's either refundable or not, and it's NOT refundable, as I said, like $1,000 of the tuition credit.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Similar to how the media kept telling us the standard deduction had been doubled...nobody mentioned that they took away the personal exemptions...the devil is in the details.

IRonMaN
Level 15
Did you actually expect the politicians that passed the bill to actually understand tax law?  Start calling up everyone that voted for the bill and ask them to define "refundable" :grimacing::grimacing:

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
I agree. Just like TT offers free filing but fails in the details. H&R same........this is nothing new in advertising and why would you think the government would be any different?
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The "refundable" part the of Child Tax Credit has pretty much followed the SAME rules it has for many years (it requires "earned" income).  So if you dislike those rules, those rules have been there for at least 20 years (probably there since 1986).

Actually, the new tax law made the refundable part EASIER to get (it lowers the "earned" income starting point to $2500, rather than it used to be $3000).

jlief
Level 1
OHHH, so the tax law ALWAYS [at least for 20 years] called a portion of the child tax credit as REFUNDABLE, as I'd never noticed that??
The congressman in Florida who got the "refundable" portion raised from $1,100 to $1,400 had also wanted/tried to get it to be FULLY refundable without requiring anyone to have ANY earned income, but he was rebuffed by his colleagues.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Yes, the refundable portion has required "earned income" for a VERY long time.  The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act did not change that, except to require LESS "earned income" before it becomes refundable.
sjrcpa
Level 15
@jlief Have we had the child tax credit for 20 years?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Hillenburg
Level 4
No earned income ?  I think the intent of the law is to encourage families with young children to work a little and help support the family,
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Bingo!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I'm looking at a client file right now that got 957 in CTC and the full 2800 ACTC refunded  for 2 kids...so some people do qualify for it!

0 Cheers