Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I reduce additional paid in capital on Sch L for distributions?

jgcpa
Level 4

Distribution in excess of Retained Earnings (=AAA) for sole  S shareholder, but not in excess of basis due to paid in capital. Do I reduce additional paid in capital on sch L? This was a LLC  which elected 2 years ago to be a S corp. No formal stock shares were issued. Would the debit be to Paid in Capital? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

No. Retained Earnings will just have a debit balance.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

No. Retained Earnings will just have a debit balance.

0 Cheers
jgcpa
Level 4
How do I make a Negative Retained Earnings even more negative due to Distributions?. Proseries seems to disallow a  negative retained earnings caused by distributions. Proseries instructions say to adjust capital stock.
0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11
Lacerte closes everything to Retained Earnings without comment. AAA is the only thing not reduced below zero by distributions.
0 Cheers
birch
Level 1
Proseries will not carryover a negative retained earnings automatically to the balance sheet so you will be out of balance. Above Schedule M-2 in the Forms view you need to check "no" in the second question about using automated Schedule M-2/Retained Earnings Worksheet amounts so that it does not carry over to the balance sheet.  Then you need to manually input the correct negative retained earnings number on the balance sheet.  Or you can adjust additional paid in capital or capital stock but I think technically you are not supposed to decrease those accounts, especially capital stock.
0 Cheers