Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When selling a non-performing stock within an IRA (it has not been declared worthless), can the money that was lost be shown as a long term loss on Schedule D?

Shirley79
Level 4

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

No. Gains and losses within an IRA have no income tax consequences to the IRA owner.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

No. Gains and losses within an IRA have no income tax consequences to the IRA owner.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9

You get the benefit of the loss when you do not have to take that lost money out of your IRA.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Susan & Jane are correct.  PLUS, unless you've made non-deductible contributions, you don't have any basis in the IRA anyway (translation, there isn't a tax loss).

Prior to 1.1.18 - if there was a tax loss (you've made non-deductible contributions OR it's Roth IRA), all similar accounts have to be closed to capture the loss.  Said loss was deductible as a miscellaneous itemized deduction, subject to the 2% haircut - pre TCJA.

I don't know off the top of my head if that 2% issue was changed by TCJA ( I vaguely remember it being discussed?) but if not, 2% miscellaneous deductions are gone.

And that *loss* never went on Schedule D.

Plus you've never been able to write off a loss that hasn't even occurred yet....non-performing stocks don't trigger deductible losses any more than ones doing really well trigger reportable gains.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers