Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New York State estimates already paid

14strings
Level 3

Can't seem to locate where to enter a 2021 NYS estimate that has been already paid by the client. On the federal return there is a clear area to enter "if the client has already made payments, enter amounts"

Thanks in advance.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
IntuitMark304
Employee
Employee

Can you please clarify what type of return you are inquiring about?  Is it an individual, corporate, partnership or fiduciary?  Thanks.

0 Cheers
14strings
Level 3

Personal 1040....as mentioned there is a spot for estimates already paid on the federal but I can not find a similar entry on NYS IT-201

thanks

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

State estimates are entered on the same Tax Payments Worksheet as federal estimates.  I'm curious about you wanting to enter 2021 estimate already paid.   Are you referring to Jan2021 payment for the 2020 tax return or April2021 payment for 2021 return?    If for the 2021 return, you do not enter it anywhere in the 2020 tax program.  You will need to wait to enter in the 2021 program

0 Cheers
14strings
Level 3

I am talking about entering a 2021 estimate already made by the taxpayer into the estimate worksheet in the 2020 software. This will take this 2021 payment into account when calculating the remaining estimates due for 2021.

As stated the federal software has a entry field for just such a thing but I can not locate in NYS.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I don't prepare NYS returns so I'm going by what I know - Indiana returns.   Isn't there somewhere on the NYS Estimated Tax Payment Worksheet where the estimates are calculated to enter the amount.   Indiana Estimated Tax Payment Worksheet - Part IV, Line 1  is for payments already made.

0 Cheers
14strings
Level 3

NYS has a similar worksheet which is just a record of estimates made; entries have no effect on the calculation of remaining estimates. I can "game the system" by putting in my own fixed amount. I've been using ProSeries for 30 years and finally got around to asking about this little quirk (of several) that has long bothered me.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

NJ has a line to enter 2021 estimates on the 2021 estimate w/s. Then the remaining needed estimates for 2021 are reduced.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
14strings
Level 3

Does not seem to work for NYS

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I was curious to the NYS estimate worksheet compared to Indiana so I downloaded NYS program. 

Couldn't you use Line 27 Estimate of Income Tax to be withheld   or   Line 30 column c 2020 Overpayment applied     to get the calculation you want for the remaining estimates?     

0 Cheers
14strings
Level 3

Yes I can and do use that withholding field to "trick" the system but was curious as to why Federal has the right entry field but not NYS