Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network enviornment

jeffrey
Level 5

Hello, 

Tech Support people have recommend not to run ProSeries on a Linux server. My server is a Linux and and tech support has done a great job of ensuring my software works for several years now. All my machines are Windows, getting the data files from the server.

As soon as tax season is over, I am changing to Windows Server. I would like to hear from a support person their procedure to accomplish this and maintain Intuit Data integrity that is currently on my system. 

Do I need to uninstall all Intuit software on all machines, then Re-install. I currently am using mapped network drives. I am planning on keeping the drive letters the same. Does this mean I don't have to uninstall software any machines? Only the server is Linux, and we are changing to Windows Server 2022 Essentials version.

T

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

keep us posted.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I found these for you. The first one is old, but I like to review anything I find. Of course, W10 will be considered Old in about 3 months.

http://http-download.intuit.com/http.intuit/CMO/proseries/resources/user_guide/ty10/ProSeries_Pro_Ne...

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/install-products/help/how-do-i-install-proseries-professiona...

No one on the internet can help with specific network issues when these things are specific to each office network. For instance, the difference in authorizations between the workstations as client to Linux or as client to Windows Server, because there is a server path for each user, no matter which workstation they are on. You seem to indicate you are doing file server, not network server, now. In other words, librarian, not network.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
qbteachmt
Level 15

I see videos in the results from googling:

proseries network installation

0 Cheers
jeffrey
Level 5

My question is more detailed than the links. Thank you for the links.

Since I already have Network Installed and I am just changing my file server, I am wondering about the process to do this.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Does it help to know this is a peer user community for preparers, and not Customer Support? I happen to be in more of a support role (consult to clients) than preparer, and I happen to also be part of the Developer Community, so at a minimum, I understand the question. Many tax preparers (this community) hardly know how to empty the Recycle bin or fix bad desktop shortcuts (no offense meant to anyone, of course).

In other words, you are asking Users, not IT professionals, about your own Network reconfiguration. I tried to provide some reference materials where you can read about the requirements, setups, etc. As for your own transition, no one here can help with that. Your process won't be the same as any of my prior X clients', each of them was different from each other of them, and don't get me started on updating the schools.

0 Cheers
jeffrey
Level 5

Thank you for your time in replying.

I rarely resort to this "community" as ProSeries always asks us to go here first. Yes I do realize this is for us users. I posted to see if any users have done the switch from Linux to Windows Server, and hopefully I could get a decent answer. (as you know, many people are just wasting time here).

ProSeries Support always says go here, as employees monitor. Since this is a project that won't be live for a couple weeks, I thought I would post to see if anyone out there could help.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

FYI - there are very few ProSeries users who are networked.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers