Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must I complete form 8867 if I am a non-paid preparer on the form 1040? The diagnostics is flagging this. education credit claimed. I don't charge for his taxes.

jmessmoney
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Being that ProSeries is a professional program it automatically inserts the 8867.  

Most professional preparers sign returns as a paid preparer, even they do them pro bono.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Being that ProSeries is a professional program it automatically inserts the 8867.  

Most professional preparers sign returns as a paid preparer, even they do them pro bono.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
jmessmoney
Level 1
OK.  Thanks Lisa !
0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

If you select 'non paid preparer' in Part V of the information worksheet it will disable the 8867 requirement. (don't forget to uncheck the paid preparer is third party designee... you have to fill it in manually as non paid preparer..... 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
PeteY48
Level 1

In part V of the information worksheet [Return Preparer and Third Party Designee Information], in the second paragraph, there are two boxes titled "Self Prepared" and "Non-Paid Preparer". In your case check the second box. This should clear up the need for any paid preparer information.

0 Cheers