Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Fixed Asset Manager (FAM) Files to Another Computer

arandersen
Level 3

I want to move my 2018 Fixed Asset Manager Program and files to a new computer so that after I install 2019 FAM on the new computer, I can transfer the 2018 client files into the 2019 program.  So for the prior year (2018) FAM, do I just run the 2018 installation program on the new computer and then copy the entire FamWin18 folder over to the new computer?  When I did this back in 2012 and then tried to open up the prior year program on the new computer, I got a message that the program needs to be reactivated.  I can't remember how I solved that and now I can no longer find any articles about transferring FAM to a new computer.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
arandersen
Level 3

Thank you!  That will probably work as I really do not need to open up last year's FAM.  Like you say, all I really need is to download current year FAM and when it asks me to transfer last year's data to this year, I can put a copy of last year's client data folder on a flash drive and point to the flash drive location as the data source for the transfer of last year's ending data to the current year's beginning data.

However, I sure wish there was more documentation on doing a complete installation of last year's entire FAM program on a new computer in the event the old computer breaks down because sometimes I want to open up last year's FAM program on a working computer so I can see what I did last year.  Fortunately I printed out an old article on this from 2012 that no longer exists in the support system but I have file notes indicating that back in 2012 when I did that, FAM would not activate on the new computer without calling customer support and going through a hassle.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
IRonMaN
Level 15
I don’t use FAM but I don’t think you want to copy the hold FAM folder. I would download the program on your new computer. Then I would open up my file explorer and see if there is a file with something called data. If there is I would copy that on a flash drive and plop it into the same spot on the new computer.

Slava Ukraini!
arandersen
Level 3

Thank you!  That will probably work as I really do not need to open up last year's FAM.  Like you say, all I really need is to download current year FAM and when it asks me to transfer last year's data to this year, I can put a copy of last year's client data folder on a flash drive and point to the flash drive location as the data source for the transfer of last year's ending data to the current year's beginning data.

However, I sure wish there was more documentation on doing a complete installation of last year's entire FAM program on a new computer in the event the old computer breaks down because sometimes I want to open up last year's FAM program on a working computer so I can see what I did last year.  Fortunately I printed out an old article on this from 2012 that no longer exists in the support system but I have file notes indicating that back in 2012 when I did that, FAM would not activate on the new computer without calling customer support and going through a hassle.

0 Cheers