Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move data to new machine from Inaccessible program

Well we have probably 1200 client files per year. Needing to move to new server. Well Backing up and or just moving chucks of client files either "not responds" or takes 25-30 minutes a chuck to attempt to save to an external SSD, then attempted to restore to a new server. for all 4 years! This is unreliable and painfully slow and hard to tell IF anything working. This will be Super frustrating and take me 8 hours! The whole server install and updates and everything else didn't take more than half that. Got to be a better way! Can I install and grab the raw data to drop on to the new machine in the right area? This is got to be the suckiest process. I gave up and quit. Currently I cant clone the drive into the new because of windows file system errors that DSIM and SFC Cannot resolve. Help

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
dascpa
Level 11

The only time I've ever "needed" to use the backup feature is when ProSeries asks me to backup and sanitize a file to send to them.  For umpteen million years I've just done a Copy and Paste or drag via Windows Explorer to a USB, portable hard drive, or floppy disk.....  This is either for a new machine or a spare machine I use as an emergency as I know disasters happen.  It's also if I want to put a client file on a laptop if I'm taking it in the field.  After that it just takes a Home Base Tune Up and I'm good to go.  

0 Cheers

Hey, can you say what directorys in what folders to grab and drop in what place to do this. I can install '18-22 and update but might be unsure the correct spot to put files. I can't waste whole weekend moving a server. Please and thank you 

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

There are default directories that ProSeries uses (example: C:\Prowin21\21Data), or you are clearly able to change directories to any place you want.  I never use the default directories as I want all my computer data under the Documents folder.  I create a 2021 year, 2020 year, etc.  Then within the ProSeries program under the File Menu you have to Change Directories to tell ProSeries where to look for the current year and prior year data.  I do this as I use multiple forms of backup and it's just easier for me to tell Carbonite (online backup) or other software to just backup the entire Documents folder rather than having to pick and choose what directories in the computer to backup.  Your situation may be different due to networking, stand alone, etc. issues.  I've just NEVER had a problem doing it this way.