Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage interest worksheet

FrankK
Level 4

The home mortgage interest worksheet includes a place to enter points. But in the case where the taxpayer has a new mortgage, points are paid, and the average loan balance is more than $750K, it appears that the worksheet does nothing with the points (doesn't even prorate).  This does not make sense.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Hey Frank!  Welcome.  I think I still have the dummy return I was playing with when we discussed this.  Yeah, here's the screenshot.  Entries on this line for Points paid don't carry anywhere and they definitely should.

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
rbynaker
Level 13

Hey Frank!  Welcome.  I think I still have the dummy return I was playing with when we discussed this.  Yeah, here's the screenshot.  Entries on this line for Points paid don't carry anywhere and they definitely should.

Rick

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Oh, I probably should find an adult.  I'm not sure anyone is working ProSeries forums tonight but I can give @Ashley at Intuit (aka Henry Jr) a shout out and she can tag team someone on this.
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
@FrankK are you talking about a new purchase with deductible points, or a re-fi with amortizable points?
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
In the example that Frank and I worked on in was a new purchase.
0 Cheers
FrankK
Level 4
New purchase
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
Are you using the QuickZoom at 8A to the full-blown worksheet?  I just tried it and it worked fine.  I entered a $1M mortgage, it took 75% of points and int onto line 8a.
0 Cheers
FrankK
Level 4
Yes on the quick zoom.  Interesting: I tried a single new mortgage of $1M plus $10K points paid, loan originates in 02/18, and it prorates both interest and points as expected.  In my case, there was one mortgage from 2016 from Jan-May. Client sold home, bought new one in June. Took $850K mortgage in June.
0 Cheers
FrankK
Level 4
I just went back and opened the original return where I found the issue, and the worksheet & Sched A are now prorating points as I expected.  I didn't change anything.  Must have been on a trip to the Twilight Zone...
0 Cheers
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

Question:  in this case where the points for a new home purchase must be pro-rated due to balance exceeding $750K limit, what happens to the points that cannot be deducted?  Are they lost forever or can they be rolled over to future years?

Thanks in advance.

0 Cheers