Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MN State Return will not accept Federal XNP Code, how do I get rid of errors?

charlievrooman
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

When you say "Federal XNP Code", I assume you mean you checked non-paid preparer?

I can think of a couple of options:

(1) Mark it as a paid preparer.

(2) Report the problem to Intuit by spending a couple of hours on hold, then frustratingly try to get the customer support agent to understand what you are talking about.  Then wait 3 weeks and call Intuit back because it wasn't fixed (again, wait a couple of hours on hold) and need to reexplain and convince the customer support agent about the problem because there is no record of this problem.  Wait another 3 weeks and call Intuit back because it wasn't fixed (yet again, wait a couple of hours on hold).  This time, after you make the customer support again understand the problem, they say "yes, I see that is reported, but there is no indication of when it will be fixed" (which means it probably won't ever be fixed).  Then you just mark it as a paid preparer and e-file it to be done with it.

😂

TaxGuyBill_0-1614459708173.png

charlievrooman
Level 2

The problem is I am a non-paid Preparer for a number of Family and Friends and do not sign the returns.

So No Resolution?

I have sat on hold a few times with no solutions provided by Customer Service! Disappointing to say the least.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

For the last few years, the non-paid preparer has given weird errors that Intuit has apparently not fixed.  I think most of us just keep it as Paid Preparer for all of our returns, regardless if we are actually paid or not.

charlievrooman
Level 2

Thanks TaxGuyBill

Ya that's not the only issue I have. Still haven't received my EFIN Number (Since Nov!) so this is also prohibiting me from e-filing.

Not sure I'm a fan of the upgraded verion of ProSeries from TT Home & Business that I've been on for 20 Yrs!

Thanks for your input.

Charlie

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Unfortunately, if you are preparing ANY tax returns for pay, you are not allowed to use TurboTax.

But once you get used to ProSeries, it is faster than using TurboTax.

0 Cheers
charlievrooman
Level 2

Correct

As I indicated I do not charge a fee.

Hopefully I can get this to work. Glad you believe ProSeries is the way to go. Just doesn't seem that the programmer's listen to the users.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If you don't charge a fee for ANY of the tax returns, why did you switch to ProSeries?

You are correct, Intuit has a long history of ignoring problems.

0 Cheers
charlievrooman
Level 2

Because I typically assist and prepare about 15-20 TR and people asked if I could e-file for them and TT only let me e-file 5 Fed returns and not State Returns.

Therefore this was my next best option.

0 Cheers