Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military and residency

JML222
Level 4

Have a client that is from Idaho, in the military and stationed in California. Client married a California person mid-year and reside together in a California apartment.  It is my understanding that the taxpayer does not pay Calif. state tax and the spouse can claim Idaho residency from marriage date forward. Sound correct? Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RollTide68
Level 8

Military spouse can claim a NEW state of residency once they have established residency in that state.  After that they can remain a legal resident of that state even if they move as long as they remain married to the military member.

In the situation you described I don't think the spouse can change their state of residency because they have not ESTABLISHED a new state of residency.

https://militarybenefits.info/military-spouse-act-residency-relief-msrra/

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
BobKamman
Level 15

A California preparer will answer this, but probably point out that both California and Idaho are community-property states.  

0 Cheers
RollTide68
Level 8

Military spouse can claim a NEW state of residency once they have established residency in that state.  After that they can remain a legal resident of that state even if they move as long as they remain married to the military member.

In the situation you described I don't think the spouse can change their state of residency because they have not ESTABLISHED a new state of residency.

https://militarybenefits.info/military-spouse-act-residency-relief-msrra/

BobKamman
Level 15

Eventually, all military establish residency in Texas, Florida or Alaska.  Then they keep it there regardless of where posted.  

0 Cheers
RollTide68
Level 8

I changed mine to Texas during basic training and didn't change until I retired.

0 Cheers