Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft .net framework file error

ckevin
Level 3

ProSeries 2021 won't open.

Getting following message:

an issue with Microsoft .net framework file that will prevent Pro Series from running properly.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitGabi
0 Cheers
51 Comments 51
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its a Windows issue, see if anything here helps

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/other-articles/repairing-reinstalling-micro...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Brian_Christian
Employee
Employee

Depending on what you were doing you might try this article to repair a .net framework issue in ProSeries. 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/systems-performance/resolve-microsoft-net-f...

0 Cheers
ckevin
Level 3

I did all that last night. Twice. didn't help.

Thank you, though.

0 Cheers
OnsiteTech
Level 2

I have a client that they too yesterday can no longer open ProSeries 2021.  They also have this issue on another system that started around the end of Nov.  The system will open ProSeries 2020 & 2022 without issues.  Things I've tried on 1st system included the ProSeries support docs:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/other-articles/repairing-reinstalling-micro...

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/system-responses/proseries-tool-hub-helping...

Tried a repair on the ProSeries 2021 install - Ran the .net Framework tool - Have removed the check mark for .net Framework feature restarted and reinstalled the .net Framework feature - Removed all newly installed OS Updates - Download current .net Framework Update from Microsoft catalog website - Have done an advanced Revo Uninstall of ProSeries 2021 and reinstall - Performed a System File Check - All good - Ran the DISM tool - came back with no issues.  Tried calling support a couple of time but was put in a que with no hold music for over an hour.

The only conclusion was that this OS needed to be reinstalled.  But now with this happening on a second system it just doesn't make sense.  The second system had the 22H2 Windows update installed yesterday but has now been removed to see if the issue would be resolved.  Same problem.  Strange to be working fine and then all of a sudden the .net Framework error.  Does ProSeries 2020 & 2022 use .net Framework and if so is it the same version as 2021?  Why no errors when opening those versions.

Does the Icon point to some webpage when launched.  I have this client that when they double click the icon it is tied to a .net Framework link to open up an info page while the user logs in.  You can bypass the .net login with a different link that is a direct login to the application.  Does ProSeries do something like this?

Any Help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers
ckevin
Level 3

I was trying to open ProSeries.

0 Cheers
OnsiteTech
Level 2
0 Cheers
Brian_Christian
Employee
Employee

To be clear, all ProSeries products use .Net framework. You would want to be sure you have the correct one installed for TY21. Also, Windows 11 does have a specific update that fixed a problem with ProSeries in 22H2. You would want the most current update for your Windows 11. 

TY21 uses .Net 4.8

0 Cheers
ckevin
Level 3

My IT people said something about a bad app, blah, blah, fixed. Here's the path I think.

C:\Users\gregr\AppData\Local\Intuit,_Inc.\protax21.exe_Url_5leag0hqmnnrx052avintxz33iuoxkpb\0.0.0.0\user.config

ckevin
Level 3

I know two genuine computer experts. My son-in-law who is a tech manager at google. And my IT company locally. Carolina IT in Hilton Head. They do system management, backup, etc. Even remotely. They fixed this issue for me remotely. Ask for Kevin and reference Proseries 2021 tax program they fixed for Kevin. (Yes, Kevin and Kevin)

0 Cheers
Brian_Christian
Employee
Employee

This fix is too cryptic for anyone to use. There is no explanation of what was done with this config file and I know this file is dropped in this location during installation of ProSeries. Its a config file for TaxImport. 

Can you provide more information?

ckevin
Level 3

Sorry Brian. I knew it was a cryptic piece if info. I figured it might help an IT person find the problem.

0 Cheers
ckevin
Level 3

Carolina IT in Hilton Head, SC. Ask for Kevin.

0 Cheers
Brian_Christian
Employee
Employee

I seriously mean no offense, but this seems like an advertisement rather than a desire to help others on this platform. I'll just drop the subject. But I'll state emphatically that having someone remote into your system, "fix" the problem without a written explanation that can be shared and utilized seems at best sketchy. Items in this location you shared can be deleted and reinstalled with a "Reinstallation of ProSeries" so if someone looks at this solution and wonders, my recommendation would be to do that long before having some service remote into your system.

Best Regards

Brian

ckevin
Level 3

No offense taken.

The tech just happens to have the same name as I do.

I have yet to see a solution to the problem. My IT company solved it rather quickly.

I messaged you because I thought you hadn't resolved the issue.

ProSeries tech wasn't any help at all.

I've used ProSeries for possibly 25 years now. CPA Georgia. Accounting Practitioner SC. Not exactly laying groundwork for a scam. But I get your hesitation. I really do.

I've known the owner of the IT company since he was 12. He is a genuinely decent guy. His dad, since passed away, was a buddy of mine at church and playing softball.

If me taking the time will help someone in my shoes then I thought I would throw it out there.

OnsiteTech
Level 2

Problem Solved!

Not a Windows issue but a Proseries issue.  Went to the path mentioned by ckevin and there I renamed the user.config file to user.config.old and restarted ProSeries 21 application.  File recreated and application opened.

Thanks ckevin

C:\Users\gregr\AppData\Local\Intuit,_Inc.\protax21.exe_Url_5leag0hqmnnrx052avintxz33iuoxkpb\0.0.0.0\user.config

Why does the Uninstaller not remove this directory and any other directories the application creates?

ckevin
Level 3

Glad it worked for you.

ProSeries tech support specifically said it was not a ProSeries issue. I don't blame her. I blame her higher ups for not taking ownership of the issue.

Happy-Tax
Level 5

The fix worked for me, too. I encountered the error when opening TY22 ProSeries so I had to adapt the fix to TY22, and it worked just fine. So far I haven't had this problem with the TY21 program, but I'll keep this tip handy just in case.

simplicity
Level 4

Im having same problem opening 2021 and 2022. I can open 2020, Error is with Microsoft.net framework. Pro Series can't fix it. I followed directions and can't fix it. Have you since found solution

0 Cheers
OnsiteTech
Level 2

Go to the below directory and locate the file mentioned - user.config.  Rename the file, close windows and re-launch Proseries.  Please note that the user folder will be different than XXXXXX.  Best run command would be - appdata.  There you will see the local folder and can drill down to the \0.0.0.0\user.config file.  You will want to do this for both programs that you are having problems with.

C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Local\Intuit,_Inc.\protax21.exe_Url_5leag0hqmnnrx052avintxz33iuoxkpb\0.0.0.0\user.config

DMUR
Level 2

I just got off the chat/call with Microsoft support. The issue with Microsoft .Net Framework preventing Proseries 2022 from running is because the software is not compatible with Windows 11 22H. So if you are running Windows 11 21H do not update to the latest version. They are going to send the error up for further research. 

2022problem
Level 1

Intuit's tech support used to be good - now they don't know anything and also don't want to take responsibility!  I have the same issue right now and trying to fix 

0 Cheers
UberSuave
Level 2

Thank you! This worked for me. I tried everything else including an hour on the phone with intuit and then another hour with Windows doing a fresh install!

For others; you may need to edit view to show hidden files when you get to C:\User\name for AppData folder to show.

JL6
Level 1

Can SOME one please walk me true the step on how to fix this. 

Screenshot.png

0 Cheers
DMUR
Level 2

I had my IT  Guru fix my Microsoft .Net Framework issue the problem was with the installation some of the folders was missing in the 32bit folder software download for proseries. I copied the ones from a working folder and use powershell to copy and fix the problem. It now works correctly.

0 Cheers
2022problem
Level 1

So it's proseries problem - but the tech customer service/lead at Intuit blamed it on Microsoft. 

0 Cheers
OnsiteTech
Level 2

Well there is a previous post that stated it was due to the 22H2 Windows update.  But I removed that update and it did not fix my issue.  Maybe the 22H2 Update corrupts the file?  Not sure.

0 Cheers
DMUR
Level 2

To add to my previous response when proseries tech support could not help me I tried Microsoft tech support who told me the software was not compatible with the update.  So My IT suggested we look at another computer that was running 22 year. We found that in the installation from proseries the first thing it looks for is Microsoft. Net Framework 4.8 and the error was found in the installation process when we open the 32 bit file folder it was missing several files. We copied from another that had all the files and everything it working correctly now. So it is in the software download where things are missing so that's a Intuit proseries error I don't know if it is when you download from a prior year are the site but we found the issue in the 32 bit folder file. Not sure how it happening whether it's the update from Microsoft or Intuit but fixing the 32 bit file folder fixed my issue.

0 Cheers

This fixed the issue. Thank you!

0 Cheers
vicmc116
Level 1

a customer of mine has protax 13 thru 22 had been in before and i renamed the 21 user_config file to user_config_old he resigned in and it fixed it. Now he is in again this time the 22 version is not working, checking thru ALL the config files i notice the one i had renamed old is missing a big chunk of info and the 22 config file that is not working is also missing a big patch of txt in it, and yet the config files with missing txt is larger (file size) then the good working ones lol but i created a backup folder in all the working ones and copied the working config files into that.  Renamed the user config 22 version to old and now just need the customer to log back in so i can create a backup of the new 22 version config file but i do not know if it is the intuit program wiping out the info in userconfig or if it is dot net i am guessing it is intuit

0 Cheers
GeorgiaRe Tired
Level 3

I am having this problem.  What is the solution?

I have tried the Microsoft.Net repair tools.  I have uninstalled 2022 and reinstalled.  I have removed Microsoft.net, rebooted, and reinstalled Microsoft.net in control panel.

2021 opens fine.

meinfeldt
Level 2

After a recent Windows 10 update...I could not get my 2021 ProSeries to open...I received the same Microsoft.net framework error...

Your fix worked perfectly. Although for a non techie... it took me some time to figure it all out...

I just opened the '21 program for the first time in a week.

Intuit needs to get it's act together...we should not have to deal with these type of problems!

THANK YOU!

JKMANN
Level 1

Hi Kevin,

How can I reach them?

James

0 Cheers
ckevin
Level 3

Phone: (843) 689-3009

https://www.carolinait.com/

Reference my name and they fixed this for me. I can't remember the name of the tech I talked with on the phone that fixed this. He is different from the tech that usually comes to my office if needed.

The tech connected to my computer and fixed it. I believe I posted more detail far earlier in this thread. Having that info in front of you may help them get to it fairly quick.

Good luck.

0 Cheers
ckevin
Level 3

Ask for Kevin and reference Proseries 2021 tax program they fixed for Kevin. (Yes, Kevin and Kevin)

0 Cheers
ckevin
Level 3

I believe this is the path to the problem.

mark8
Level 4

On my computer there is no path with Data only old app data.  There is no 2022 programe there only up to 2019 

0 Cheers
LadyDi62
Level 3

I had this problem on my laptop for TY2022.  I tried to open my TY2021 and ouch the same problem so I called Proseries IT tech and they said it wasn't a Proseries problem.  I then explained to them that I had the same problem on my desktop and a Proseries IT tech helped me to resolve the problem so it was very hard for me to understand why they couldn't do it for my desk top.

I asked IT to look at my call history since they say they record the calls to get me back to the tech that resolved the problem on my desktop so she gave me a supervisor who basically said it wasn't a Proseries issue.

I ended up taking my laptop to Best Buy Geek Squad who couldn't fix the problem therefore I purchased a new laptop.  More problems - when they transferred my files from my old laptop to the new one my tax files can't be found so now I have a different problem.  i was told that the files would transfer and all I had to do was download the Proseries tax program.  Did that without success in finding the files.

i should've had the Geek Squad tech backup at least my TY2021 and 2022 because all my previous years are on a flash drive.

Needless to say "I'm not happy with Proseries IT support".

Again

0 Cheers
LadyDi62
Level 3

I'm going to try it, thanks!

Tax Challenged
Level 1

When I the link it says file not found.

0 Cheers
slounev
Level 1

worked like a charm on 22 verison as well.

for non IT people.. go to the path and rename the file. close pro series and it will start!

Thanks Kevin!

0 Cheers
jennw
Level 1

THANK YOU!!!! This information was a HUGE help and I was able to fix the issue with my 2021 & 2022 Proseries 🙂

0 Cheers
jennw
Level 1

THANK YOU for the hidden files advice!!! I could not locate the files until I found your post about hidden files so this was a HUGE help 🙂

0 Cheers
ehammondcpa
Level 3

Thank you for posting this solution. It worked for me. I'm not sure why this forum has to fix the problems and we have to find our own way through the problems that Proseries creates or chooses not to find a way to fix. I appreciate your help! ProSeries- not so much!

JCT1
Level 4

My 2021 won't open but I don't receive any error message- it just pops up the first window for about 8 seconds but closes without brining up the sign in page.  Just that.  Very strange, but at least happy to know this is a new issue which could take half an eternity to solve, if it can be solved.   I've learned to lose hope right away with Intuit, this lessens the pain from having one's hopes blown to bits. 

JCT1
Level 4

You can count on virtually every Intuit tech support person you get blaming your issue on Microsoft or something else with your machine.  It saves them from having to work.

0 Cheers
GBM
Level 1

Using Windows 10.

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi
0 Cheers
lcaplan
Level 2

Absolutely!  They do it every time.  I spoke with Microsoft for 3 hours.  After attempting to resolve the issue, they told me it was an Intuit issue.  Of course Intuit is passing the buck.

0 Cheers
lcaplan
Level 2

First level tech support are awful.  And then if I need to have an issue accelerated, nobody calls me back.

0 Cheers