Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michigan return - retirement benefits from SSA exempt employment

Gotaxes
Level 3

Michigan taxpayer born after January 1, 1955 and retired as January 1, 2013 receives retirement benefits from SSA exempt employment - eligible to exclude $55,000 of pension benefits. Carries properly on Form 4884 pension schedule and is then supposed to carry to Schedule 1 Line 11. It does not carry and is not a fillable field. Have filed this way many years but seems to have a glitch in program. Anyone had this?

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
lewiskj
Level 1

I don't have help, but I am encountering the same problem. You'd think that we pay enough for this program that we could get a number to flow from one form to the next. Overrides aren't allowed to file the form correctly either. Can we get Proseries to correct this?

0 Cheers
Gotaxes
Level 3

I have called this glitch into Intuit ProSeries Professional but have not heard anything moving forward. I have done this return properly for my client in 2018, 2019, 2020 and now 2021 has problems. I know that this is a special group of individuals with age requirements, retirement date requirements and received retirement benefits from SSA exempt employment but why isn't there a fix yet? What did programmers do to change this? I believe they are now confusing the wording in the instructions on page 18 for form 4884. It states: Recipients born after January 1, 1955, received retirement benefits from SSA exempt employment, and were retired as of January 1, 2013 may deduct up to $35,000 in qualifying retirement and pension benefits if single or married filing separately or $55,000 if married filing a joint return.

It goes on to read: All other recipients born after January 1, 1955, all retirement and pension benefits are taxable and you are not entitled to a pension subtraction. 

The $55,000 is properly showing up on on line 17 of Form 4884 and should carry per the line instructions to Schedule 1, line 25 but it does not and I cannot override it and electronically file the return. Still waiting since March 3rd and so is my client! This has flowed properly to Schedule 1, line 25 for the past 3 years so please, Intuit, fix it.

lewiskj
Level 1

I could have written your exact post. For the last several years, we have filed this way. I told the lady I talked to today, something is happening with the way the program is written. It is showing on line 17 on the 4884, but not flowing to line 25 on schedule 1. She told me I needed to read the instructions and then told me she could elevate me to some level 2 something. After being on the phone for an hour and a half, I was disconnected. Not being able to override is even more frustrating. I think I might just paper file, Michigan has been handling the amendments quite fast this year, maybe they would do the same with the paper file. 

0 Cheers
Gotaxes
Level 3

I have again called Intuit to ask whether anything has been done with this glitch. I was told that "they are aware of the problem but that no date has been set for a fix. They will email when a workaround has been found. In the meantime, the client has a nice refund coming but does not wish to mail the return. Frustrating. Why change what works?

0 Cheers
JAN7
Level 2

DITTO

0 Cheers
JAN7
Level 2

Has there been any update on this from Pro-Series?  I still cannot make this work in the program.  Last year there was the same problem but they seemed to fix it much more quickly.

0 Cheers