Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MFS and MFJ extensions

motax
Level 3

For tax year 2018, couple filed an extension for MFJ return.  Consequently, they ended up filing separately, and the spouse got a  letter about not filing an extension.  It was cleared up after submitting explanations, copies, etc.

It looks like they might file separately again this year, but it is not a certainty.

I'd like to be proactive and file a joint extension and also a separate extension for each.  Is it permissible to do this?  If yes, will the program let me e-file 3 extensions or should I go via USPS?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I doubt the system will allow 2 extensions for the same SSN....just file 2 separate ones, that covers each SSN...why would you need the joint one as well?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I doubt the system will allow 2 extensions for the same SSN....just file 2 separate ones, that covers each SSN...why would you need the joint one as well?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
motax
Level 3

I couldn't think of a reason to file a joint extension, but thought I'd ask just in case.  Thanks for your prompt reply.  I'm marking this solved.