Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MFJ vs MFS - Can proseries tell you quickly?

bryce
Level 3

A friend of mine told me that his lacerte software had a quick way of determining if the clients should file MFJ vs MFS.  

Does Proseries have a way to quickly determine this? Right now the only way I know is the split the MFJ return into MFS, move kids around, and finish the MFS return.  Seems like a lot of work and the software could calculate relatively easily in the MFS return. 

thanks!

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Theres an MFJ vs MFS Comparison worksheet, does that help?   CTRL + F   type   MFS

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No super quick way.

As you said, split the return and look at each split return.

Drake as a super-quick way - you tell it to split, it calculates the results of MFJ and the two MFS and shows you the results, and asks you if you want to proceed with splitting it.

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

there is a MFJ vs MFS worksheet but, especially last couple of years has not been that trustworthy.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Evidently Basic doesn't have the MFJ vs MFS comparison that the Professional version does.  As long as you have the various income sources and deductions tagged as taxpayer, spouse, or joint, it does a decent job to let you know whether or not it is worth exploring splitting the return.  It's not an exact science but it will get you in the ballpark.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I've tinkered with it in Professional, but it seemed semi-time consuming to me.

When I was testing Drake, it told me the split numbers in 1 second.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

If everything is properly tagged as to what goes to what spouse, it will also split the numbers just as fast or faster than Drake.  And unless Drake is smarter than I think it is, it also has to have some guidance as to what belongs to what spouse or the 1 second split ain't going to be worth the paper it is printed on.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Okay, thanks.  Maybe I didn't have things tagged for Taxpayer and Spouse when I was using it.

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers