Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MeF shutdown

mjmcmurrycpa
Level 1

The IRS is shutting down the Mef system on 11/21/2020.  I am in a disaster area that has an extended due date of 12/15/2020.  If I efile a 2019 tax return after 11/21/2020 but before 12/15/2020 will it get processed as a timely filed return?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You won't be able to Efile an individual 1040 return after 11/21/20, the system will be shut down. Youd have to file by paper.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

Or await until efiling opens again in January. I'd wait if the client is getting refunds since a return efiled in January will get processed quicker than a paper return mailed in December.

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@sjrcpa wrote:

Or await until efiling opens again in January. I'd wait if the client is getting refunds since a return efiled in January will get processed quicker than a paper return mailed in December.

But be very cautious about filing a tax return late.  Just because there is a refund does not necessarily mean filing late is okay.  The are some elections that need to be on a timely filed return, and filing late would void those.  One example is the Standard Mileage Rate.  If you want to elect to use the Standard Mileage Rate in the first year of the vehicle, it must be on a timely filed return.  If it is not, you are stuck with Actual Expenses.