Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May I still e-file a 2019 1040-X?

DonnaPage
Level 2

May I still e-file a 2019 1040-X?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Nope - not without a DeLorean.

That ship sailed last November when the IRS shut down to retool the efile system for 2022 returns.

Only the current year (2022) plus two prior can be efiled.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
abctax55
Level 15

Nope - not without a DeLorean.

That ship sailed last November when the IRS shut down to retool the efile system for 2022 returns.

Only the current year (2022) plus two prior can be efiled.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
DonnaPage
Level 2

Ok, thank you. Just out of curiosity do you happen to have one of those I can borrow 🤣? BTW do you know if that is an IRS rule? Seems odd to me if the year is still open . . . but I guess nothing should surprise me about the IRS.

Thanks again.😊

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

The IRS website says you still can.

"You can file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return electronically with tax filing software to amend tax year 2019 or later Forms 1040 and 1040-SR"

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/electronic-filing-e-file/amended-returns/amended-returns

"Any amended Form 1040 and 1040-SR returns older than three years, or Form 1040-NR and 1040-SS/PR returns older than the current year cannot be amended electronically. Amended returns for any other tax years or tax forms must be filed by paper."

https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions 

E-filed amended returns are more like the Model T in The Absent-Minded Professor, than the DeLorean in Back to the Future.  It's like the online Form 1024 application:  What you send is not 1's and 0's but something that shows up as a paper document for several reviewers to process.  I'm not sure it's a pdf, but close.  That's why,

"The current processing time is more than 20 weeks for both paper and electronically filed amended returns."

0 Cheers