Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master password

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

So i want to password protect 1 file of about 700. I think I know how to set it up....but just wondering if i will be bothered with typing in the Master Password every time I log in, or just when i try to access that client's file?

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

I believe the Master password is in case you cannot remember the password set up for an individual client you can then open with the Master PW.   I have a Master PW and have never had to enter when logging on.  

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

2 options. 1 is master password for all.... other is Clint specific that you set from within the client.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

but it says you have to set up a MASTER PASSWORD, before you can have one for the specific client.  My question was, being that you have to set up a Master Password, do you have to be bothered with it every time you log on, etc? or just when trying to access that specific client? or really never?

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I never use passwords, but if you are afraid of potentially being cursed having to enter a password every time you open the program, I would test it on an earlier year of the program.  At least you can do a test run on something that you aren't going to be opening up on a daily basis.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

I believe the Master password is in case you cannot remember the password set up for an individual client you can then open with the Master PW.   I have a Master PW and have never had to enter when logging on.  

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

@IRonMaN   I did as you suggested.  tried it on my 2016 software.  worked just like @dkh  said. Thanks to both of you!

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers