Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maryland unemployment benifits

mdtao31
Level 7

HI all, stay safe!! i have a question. i have over 700 clients in maryland

now md unemployment is NOT taxable on the state.so what would you

do file fed and hold up filing state,since md website said they will

update in mid march ,or would you file both and wait and file 502x amendment?

i have about 130 appointments till then, many have unemployment.

would be gratefull for sugestions

regards,LARRY

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

Good morning Larry,  full disclosure - I don't file Maryland returns.  However, if I did,  I would file the federal and hold the state returns. Why put yourself through filing amended returns unless it's a money making thing.      If I you explain to your clients they'd have to wait for the state refund because of the changes (which were beyond your control and to their benefit)  they should be happy to wait on state.  It would mean larger state refunds or less balance due.

View solution in original post

16 Comments 16
chasetax
Level 7

my suggestion-wait to file maryland--unless you want to increase your workload between mid-march and april 15th--because you know your clients are going to hound you to file 502X's

dkh
Level 15

Good morning Larry,  full disclosure - I don't file Maryland returns.  However, if I did,  I would file the federal and hold the state returns. Why put yourself through filing amended returns unless it's a money making thing.      If I you explain to your clients they'd have to wait for the state refund because of the changes (which were beyond your control and to their benefit)  they should be happy to wait on state.  It would mean larger state refunds or less balance due.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I’ll third that.  The last thing I would do is create a situation of filing a bushel basket full of amended returns.

Slava Ukraini!
mdtao31
Level 7

thank you guys, u r the greatest

makes sense

dascpa
Level 11

I'll agree and disagree.

Don't amend returns where you don't have to. But MD has income thresholds for the subtraction modification of unemployment benefits received. Therefore you can weed out the ones who don't have unemployment and further weed out for those above the income threshold.  I'll bet you're left with just a handful to sit and wait on.

mdtao31
Level 7

many more than a handfull! the income threshold is 75,000 for single and

100,000 for married filing joint.i have already have about 15 i have already

filed that woild meet income criteria.thank you for your input

regards, LARRY

0 Cheers
profrjm
Level 2

I'm really hoping that Maryland just does adjustments on these UEI returns that have already been filed.  I'm in Maryland now, but its only my second year here.  California would just adjust all the ones filed before the law was passed.  It would take them months, but they wouldn't require an amended return for this.  Thoughts on Maryland doing the same?

chasetax
Level 7

doubt it--at a seminar with a speaker from the comptroller's office(last year)--we were told they are still using COBOL!!!--back to the future

AlvinJr
Level 3

On March 9th I received this reply to my question to the MD Comptroller's office:  "Please delay filing the MD income tax return when unemployment income is involved as neither the software nor the forms are updated at this time. The new forms should be available mid-April and they will be listed on our website. If you file before then you will have to file an amendment later."  So I suggest we all file extensions for our affected clients.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'd hold federal, too, due to the pending legislation that will exempt it from tax if AGI is <$150,000.

Ex-AllStar
mdtao31
Level 7

HI ironman,we will all have a basket full of amendments to file because

when the house passes the stimulas package today,first 10,000 of unemployment

will also non taxable on the federal. i personally have a load of these

regars,LARRY

stay safe good guys, and "girls"2222

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, it's been a fun tax season already and it is going to get even more funner before it is all over.  Does anybody know how much a Walmart greeter makes?  I'm contemplating a career change after this tax season.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

I agree.  Been working 7 days and nights. Haven't taken a day off since 2021, and I'm 20% behind last year, which was a messed up year too. Can't work any harder. This sucks, and it sucks more and more each year. Notice - CPA practice for sale - $10, and I'll pay you the $10.....

Tax Challenged
Level 1

Hi,

It's April 29th. Do you know if Intuit has updated the software for Maryland Unemployment?

Thanks!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

They have, but a new glitch appeared in  the most recent update.

Ex-AllStar
AlvinJr
Level 3

What was the glitch?

0 Cheers