Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maryland form 511

sgull
Level 2

Has anyone been able to electronically file form 511 through ProSeries Professional?

We continue to receive an error message and after deleting and retyping return. 

Downloading all updates to the software again.  Form 511 still says DO NOT FILE.

Any comments are appreciated

13 Comments 13

I keep trying this also, but it says "Do not File".  I thought after July 14 the forms were finalized, and are now in our software, but we cannot e-file yet.  Not sure what is holding this up.

sjrcpa
Level 15

If it helps, you have until September 15 to file these MD returns without penalty.

Lacerte says you can efile them but the paper form is not ready for prime time yet. Would be nice if ProSeries informed its customers as to what is going on. (Surely I jest)

Ex-AllStar
IntuitMark304
Employee
Employee

The Maryland Form 511 is currently available for e-filing.  The red "DO NOT FILE" at the top of the form in the software is intended to warn the user that the form is not available to be printed and mailed at this time.  Proseries is currently working with Maryland to secure the necessary approvals on the printed version of the form.  

For example - if you run a print preview of the Form 511, the user will see a watermark on the form stating, "DO NOT FILE" and "E-FILE ONLY".   See picture below.  

Please let us know if you continue to have difficulty e-filing the Form 511.  

MD.PNG

tcurran07
Level 2

Its seems absurd that ProSeries/MD think it is acceptable to e-file a return without providing a printed version to the client for review. That makes zero sense. 

Julia74
Level 2

This makes absolutely no sense.  I can efile a tax return that I cannot print out for the client to review and approve before I efile? 

This is where fraudulent returns can be filed as well as errors can occur because the client does not review them.  

What is the difference between the efile version and the printed version.  If there is such an issue, then how do I know the efiled version is good?  Also, hard to keep a copy of what you actually filed since you cannot print the copy out.

This tax season just doesn't seem to end.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its not uncommon for forms to be ready for Efiling before a printed version is available for paper filing. 

Clients can review the form that has the watermark on it, that shouldn't be an issue.  

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Julia74
Level 2

No in ProSeries, you cannot even print a pdf copy or print a copy for the client to review.  This is a problem.

tcurran07
Level 2

Most of the time you are correct. Currently, you cannot generate a watermarked PDF of the Maryland Form 511 for the client to review. The software prohibits you form generating the PDF or printing. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Well if it wont let you print or PDF even with the watermark, that's ridiculous, why bother with the watermark then!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

To be fair, a large part of this problem is the state of Maryland. Despite the law allowing PTEs to elect to pay MD tax on behalf of resident owners being passed in the fall of 2020, the state did not release a form for this (511) until June 29, 2021.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
IntuitMark304
Employee
Employee

Thanks for all the feedback related to the Maryland Form 511.  We understand the difficulty you are experiencing regarding printing the form at this time.  It has been a challenging filing season (especially for MD pass thru filers!).  

Please see the following link regarding printing on non-state approved forms: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/only-final-forms-can-be-printed-in-proserie...

We are required by the state to turn off the print of non-approved forms as detailed in the link above.  We continue to work with the State of Maryland and will release final approved forms as soon as possible.  

0 Cheers
IntuitMark304
Employee
Employee

I have good news to share.  We have received approval from the State of Maryland for print of Form 511 and will be releasing the update this morning.   Users should be able to print the MD Form 511 after updating.  

0 Cheers
Julia74
Level 2

Ok, this update is under "update installed products" not the refresher updates, that we have had to be using lately.

Thank you.

0 Cheers