Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Married Filing Separately

LisaF
Level 1

I have a client that is filing married separately but does not have their spouse's social security number.  All requirements were met for married filing separately.  There was no separation agreement and there are no issued with claiming a dependent.  The spouse is not willing to give their social security number.  How can I get past the social security number entry field?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They dont have access to prior year returns to pull the SSN from?  No attorneys involved for the divorce that could acquire the SSN?

Youd need to paper file, you can't Efile without the SSN. 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

You can't.  Would the spouse possibly give you the SS# if you did not reveal it to your client.  You would need to mask the number on copy you provide to client.   Explaining that to the uncooperative spouse might help.   

LisaF
Level 1

No, the prior year return is not available.  I will check the attorney route.  Thank you.

0 Cheers
LisaF
Level 1

This is a good option to try.  Thank you.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I wonder how much the attorney will bill for getting involved in obtaining an SSN that is not required by any law.  Sometimes I really have to wonder about the aversion to filing a paper return -- even these days, when it may sit in a truck trailer outside an IRS Service Center for a month or two.