Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Married filing separately in California, 8958

HOPE2
Level 8

TP wants to file 2021 separately because of divorce process. His wife has only a W-2 (IRS Notice 2014-7 excludable income) which I entered as negative amount line 8 Sch 1 IN ORIGINAL RETURN. He has his own account in securities Robinhood and Morgan also he paid foreign tax income. When I first file married jointly for him, I entered his wife's W-2 in return. Now, he changed his mind because of above reason. I checked separately box in original return(info worksheet). Should I allocate positive and negative amount in 8958 for both? However, I have an error on return for spouse W-2 box it says: Spouse box should not be checked, your filing status is not joint filing. Should I allocate capital gain and bank interest in 8958 if those accounts were his? I know 8958 have not impact on either the FED and CAL. If the way I went through is not correct please guide me. I do not know how to tell ProSeries to make a short video for how to file Married filing separately. A lot of videos in there but nothing for Separately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
HOPE2
Level 8

I really need a help.

0 Cheers