Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Married Filing Separate Filing Standard Deduction on Federal

vsc
Level 1

My client is MFS and has agreed with his spouse to file using the standard deduction. I always thought what you do to the Federal, you do to the state. However, when reviewing the return I saw where AL state option defaulted to itemized deductions even though federal was manually selected for standard deduction. So, the question is with MFS can you file itemize deduction with the state of AL even though you selected standard for Federal? Note I do realize the spouse must file the same way regardless. Thanks for your time.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
RollTide68
Level 8

That has always been an option with Alabama.  The standard deduction in AL is relatively low.  Most of my clients fall into that category, Standard Deduction on Fed and Itemized on the State.  If they both have a W-2 then most likely they will itemize since the State allows a deduction for FICA/SE taxes paid.