Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mandatory electronic estimated state payments

tammie
Level 3

Client is to pay $100 quarterly estimated State (Virginia) payments.  The estimate instructions state that she must pay her estimates electronically.  I see on the information worksheet that the Box for "You are required to make Virginia tax payment electronically" is marked.  The program will not let me un-check that box.  There is a box to check stating to "Force print all payment vouchers".  When I check that box it still will not allow me to uncheck the Electronically Pay box.  I checked another client's tax return that also has state estimated voucher and his is just fine.  Any idea what is going on with my client's state estimated payments?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"The estimate instructions state that she must pay her estimates electronically."

Thats probably why it wont let you uncheck the box.

The VA state website says this:

Electronic filing requirement

Taxpayers who make estimated tax payments must submit all of their income tax payments electronically if:

• Any installment payment of estimated tax exceeds $7,500 or 
  • Any payment made for an extension of time to file exceeds $7,500 or 
  • The total income tax due in any taxable year beginning on or after Jan. 1, 2018 exceeds $30,000. 

If any of the thresholds above apply to you, all future income tax payments after July 1, 2018 (beginning with the Sept. 15, 2018 estimated payment) must be made electronically. This includes all payments for estimated taxes, extensions of time to file, and any other amounts due when a return is filed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
tammie
Level 3

I do understand the mandatory electronic estimates when the stakes are high, but this little old lady only has to pay $100 per quarter.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I think ProSeries started issuing that warning in error last year.  I just ignored it, I give my folks vouchers to mail.  There is a website at tax.virginia.gov where you can set up an account and pay online if you have to (I do this personally, but would not inflict it upon clients!)  When I looked it up last year I found the same info Lisa did (which did not apply to any of my clients that PS was complaining about.)

Rick (in VA)

rbynaker
Level 13

@tammie wrote:

I do understand the mandatory electronic estimates when the stakes are high, but this little old lady only has to pay $100 per quarter.

For that amount I'd try to talk them into just making a $400 payment up front, then they don't have to worry about more than one ES.

bd3
Level 2

My client does not meet  the three criteria for mandating electronic filing estimates and wishes to continue to pay by check.  I can workaround by still printing the vouchers, but it is annoying that the software is making the assumption she must send estimates electronically and it cannot be over-riden