Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MA excess revenue returned to taxpayers

dad751
Level 3

It's Wednesday 2/8 and I just saw on the news that the IRS and DOR have not decided if the excess revenue that was returned to taxpayers in proportion to the personal income tax liability they incurred in tax year 2021 that was received towards the end of last year is taxable or not. They are recommending not to file your taxes until they figure it out. And if it is taxable then they will have to amend their returns. 

Just great let's double the workload. Now I have to call my clients that have filed and let them know I might have to amend and that they will probably owe money to the fed and state.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

How much money did MA people get?

In VA and CA it's not too large.

If it's considered an income tax refund it's only taxable to the extent they itemized deductions and got a tax benefit for it.

Search these forums and see the lengthy discussions about the CA Middle Class Tax Refund MCTR.

Ex-AllStar
dad751
Level 3

Mine was close to $1000. It's just a pain now to tell clients that this might happen and they might have to amend. Plus the state wants us not to file until it gets resolved. I had a person yesterday that said he didn't care just to file anyway. I'm thinking of giving people the option of filing now and amending later or letting the IRS and DOR do the work for me and sending them a bill if necessary.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I'm no MA expert but from google it looks like you got ~14% of your tax back (but I don't believe everything I read on the Internet).  Sounds to me like you only got money back if you paid in.  I would conclude that this is a tax refund, subject to the tax benefit rule (as SJR said).  I'm not holding up VA returns, VA reported the refunds on the 1099-G so they clearly think this is a tax refund (and I agree with them).  I suspect MA will be the same.