Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign Tax Credit - Carryback (Asking Again)

Akinofe67
Level 3

I do need help on this, clear help please. A client of mine with foreign income in 2017 and Unused Foreign Tax Credit in 2017 will like to Carryback some of the Unused Credit from 2017 to 2016, so as to clear up the tax due in 2016. My client is filing back taxes for a number of years. Client has been an employee in a foreign country earning foreign income all this time.

How on Proseries can I do a FTC Carryback. The form 1116 Foreign tax credit Comp Worksheet only allows for Carryforward to the future years. Keep in mind, whatever I do on this worksheet, automatically creates an explanation statement. I will like it to say "Total Foreign Tax Credit Carryback from 2017" $$$

Thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I see what you mean now.  

You can either (a) override the amount to enter a number in Line 10 and then enter your statement, or (b) enter the number on the carryforward worksheet and override the statement to say "carryback from 2018".

Due to the override, you may need to disable error-checking when you e-file it.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I'm not sure exactly how it shows up in ProSeries, but the carryback number is put on Line 10 of the 1116.  That is on the amended 2016 tax return.

There is foreign income in 2016, right?

Does that help at all???

Akinofe67
Level 3

Yes, there is Foreign Income on 2016 return, and Foreign Tax Credit that was totally used up leaving a tax due for that year. And by the way, am not Amending, am filing back year taxes all at once.

You are right, that the Carryback number shows up on Line 10 of Form 1116. But it is linked to the Carryover worksheet. And on that worksheet is where am having trouble creating a Carryback. It's all made for Carryforward.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I see what you mean now.  

You can either (a) override the amount to enter a number in Line 10 and then enter your statement, or (b) enter the number on the carryforward worksheet and override the statement to say "carryback from 2018".

Due to the override, you may need to disable error-checking when you e-file it.

Accountant-Man
Level 12

Not that I have worked for too many years, only 38, but I have never had an occasion to carry back FTC, only forward. I didn't even know you could, or would.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Akinofe67
Level 3

I do hope the Tech guys are reading, so they can make an update of this, and make it possible to record a Carryback on Foreign Tax Credits. Thanks again TaxGuyBill, I think overriding is going to be my best and only choice at this point.

0 Cheers