Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LLC is owned by mom, dad, and child. Do I need to do a LLC return? Or can it be on schedule E?

Golfer2016
Level 2

I have a client who owns rental real estate in their LLC.  The LLC is owned 43.5% by husband, 43.5% by wife, and 13% is owned by minor child who is a dependent (she is 3 years old).  Do I need to do a separate tax return (1065) for this LLC or can it be on Schedule E?  

Also, I understand that this shouldn't trigger the child to do a tax return unless the net income is over $1100.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

The CP 575 (when you got the FEIN), should detail the appropriate returns that need to be filed.  But, based on the questions you have raised here, you probably should suggest that client seek  a preparer who understands  taxes and filing requirements a little better than you.  It will just protect you from making some costly (to you) errors, I suspect.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If they had all owned it individually, it could probably go on Schedule E.  But the LLC owns it, so the multi-member LLC needs to file a Partnership return.

One correction ... the child would need to file a tax return is gross income is over $1100-ish.  Because it is a Partnership on the K-1, it will end up being the "net".  But if it had been on Schedule E, it would likely be the gross amount before deductions.

Golfer2016
Level 2

Bill, I have heard that if a husband and wife both own the LLC it can go on schedule E...thoughts?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the ONLY two members of the LLC are husband and wife AND it is in a Community Property State, then you can use Schedule E.  But if there is anybody else in the LLC, that option is not available.

abctax55
Level 15

"...Bill, I have heard that if a husband and wife both own the LLC it can go on schedule E...thoughts?"

@Golfer2016   That is true in many community property states.  BUT you said the kid is a member; you can just change the facts for convenience.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@abctax55   I beat you by 4 seconds.   😂

BobKamman
Level 15

Have to wonder who it was who sold them THAT seminar.

abctax55
Level 15

That's 'cuz I'm on the left coast....

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"