Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LLC Amendment

Roz1
Level 3

Sorry to ask again.  But a coleague cpa told me that partnership returns cannot be amended.  I know how to file amendments.  I was surprised that I could not amend partnership returns for years 2019 and forward.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
IRonMaN
Level 15

First bit of advice - stop listening to that CPA.

Go ahead and amend - you are allowed to do that.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

partnership returns can be amended...not sure where they got that idea.

parternsip amend.png

parternsip amends.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I think that coleague cpa's are trained in barbershop roundtables, unlike colleague cpa's. 

Roz1
Level 3

This applies to federal as well?

sjrcpa
Level 15

Partnership returns cannot be amended if the partnership is subject to the Consolidated Audit Procedures. Instead, these returns need to go thru the Administrative Adjustment process - which is not fun.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
dont most partnerships elect out of that?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

Depends on your client base. Most of mine are not eligible to elect out.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Sorry to ask again."

Yes, you already had this running and were getting help. I marked that one to be deleted, so that people don't start answering on both topics for the same issue, not knowing you are also already being helped.

Just keep updating this one for that same issue; no need to start again and again. Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Since your other post indicates this is for a 2020 return, is there an extension?

If yes you can file a superseding return.

Ex-AllStar
Roz1
Level 3

Thank you for the suggestions on the LLC amendment.

There was no extension because it was a short year return and we had not filed the extension in May 2020.

I actually efiled it as an amendment and it was accepted.  Fortunately, there is no $ value change, only a member change.  

Hoping there won't be letters from IRS.

Learned a lot during this process.

Thank you to the community.

Roz1
Level 3

That was not the issue.

"IRS no longer accepts LLC amendments unless the LLC had "elected out of the centralized partnership audit regime under section 6221(b)". 

States are ok for amendments.

There is another choice using an administrative adjustment filing.

Anyway, I was able to efile the amendment; hopefully as there was no $ change; it'll be accepted.  If not we have the back up for the reasons.

Thank you!

0 Cheers