Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited partnership sale reporting of adjusted basis

conwaytaxes
Level 1

Need advice.  Client sold Energy Partners LP and I am trying to make the basis adjustment on form 8949.  Partner instructions say to report the column they label  "Gain Subject to Ordinary Income" as a negative adjustment on form 4797.  They claim instructions for form 4797 are unclear in the determination of capital gain where total gain on sale is partially ordinary gain so reporting this amount generally results in the correct capital gain or loss.

Any comments?  Is it safe for me to go ahead and make a negative adjustment in Column G of 4797?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 12

In Pro Series, use k1 additional info page to show sale and ordinary income. You check box for sale, enter basis and proceeds and ordinary amount.

If it was reported on 1099B, the basis on 1099B will probably be the cost, but not the basis at sale. This must be adjusted out to zero so the k1 additional info page is used.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
Accountant-Man
Level 12

In Pro Series, use k1 additional info page to show sale and ordinary income. You check box for sale, enter basis and proceeds and ordinary amount.

If it was reported on 1099B, the basis on 1099B will probably be the cost, but not the basis at sale. This must be adjusted out to zero so the k1 additional info page is used.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
conwaytaxes
Level 1

I will try that.  This has been most confusing.

For earlier partnership sales I have done, the instructions were very clear.  This one is not.

0 Cheers