Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Like kind exchange

singh
Level 7

Can the sale of a residential rental home and purchasing a restaurant be regarded as Like Kind exchange? 

My client wants to sell his rental home and buy a restaurant using Section 1031 exchange.

I am not sure if this exchange is a valid 1031.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
singh
Level 7

Thank you, Terry, for the irs web site for 1030 exchange details, but that link still does not answer my question. By reading through the pub. it seems a rental home sale is a like kind exchange with purchase of a restaurant. I hope some one can give me a definite answer to my question.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

"purchase of a restaurant" means what? Purchase of a building that the client will be landlord of, or purchase of a business that the client will be running, or purchase of the whole shebang? 

Basic concept of like kind is sell a piece of real estate and buy another piece of real estate. Start buying equipment and goodwill with the deal and you begin having difficulties. @singh needs to be clearer in the statement of the question. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
sjrcpa
Level 15

What constitutes the restaurant purchase?

Real estate will qualify for 1031.

Furniture & equipment, supplies, inventory, website, etc will not.

Ex-AllStar
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Purchase of a restaurant building yes, but not the business of the restaurant.

If the whole restaurant includes the building, then you have to separate out the value of the building. You probably have that in the agreement of sale. 

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.