Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Like Kind 1031 Exchange/Form 8824

barrysafeer
Level 3

I understand conceptually how a 1031 Like Kind Exchange works.  My challenge is to know if I am doing it correctly in ProSeries.  Help desk doesn't have subject matter experts to guide me through the process.  I found one article on this forum but it doesn't help me be sure that I am doing it correctly.  Anyone have a good step by step process?  Main thing is that I want to be sure I am entering the proper basis for the new asset and carrying over the postponed gains correctly.  Thank you in advance.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
barrysafeer
Level 3

Here you go - found a good example which help me finish the 8824.  Although it is old, it guides through the form correctly.

http://www.1031.us/PDF/Form8824Instructions2006.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The 8824 should give you the new basis for the replacement property.  Is this the article you used already?

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/individual/help/1040-completing-a-like-kind-exchange-of-busi...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

What type of asset are you dealing with?

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

I've always found with 1031's I create my own worksheet for the gain deferral and basis of replacement real estate and then make sure the bottom line numbers match the IRS form.  Most people do so few that they're rarely confident in the form preparation.  This method helps.

barrysafeer
Level 3

Thank you all for the comments!!   So many knowledgeable people here 🙂  More details:

Sold commercial property A  for $1.1 million.  Basis of that property A (after depreciation) is $18,263.  So gain is $1,081,717.  How do I show this on the Form 8824?

Bought new commercial property B  for $1.1 million.  When I set-up the new asset schedule, what do I put in as the basis?  

How does the gain flow through to get captured on the new asset?

If anyone has a worksheet or sample 8824 they want to share - please and thank you.

0 Cheers
barrysafeer
Level 3

Yes - that is the article.  i added more details below.

0 Cheers
barrysafeer
Level 3

It is a commercial property.  I added more details below.

0 Cheers
barrysafeer
Level 3

I got an email that asked if I had my issue resolved and the answer is no.  Anymore help based on the additional data provided would be great.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I got an email that asked if I had my issue resolved and the answer is no"

As the Originator of this topic on an internet discussion forum, the forum platform wants you to indicate if the topic has a Solution posted in any of the replies.

As the participant in your own topic, you should come back here, to the Forum, and not rely on email relays, to help give the info that matters and that helps the peer users who volunteer, because the more you participate, the more it helps you help yourself.

If you keep getting email, click this link to come to your Topic:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/re-like-kind-1031-excha...

That's your topic. On the Web.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
barrysafeer
Level 3

Here you go - found a good example which help me finish the 8824.  Although it is old, it guides through the form correctly.

http://www.1031.us/PDF/Form8824Instructions2006.pdf

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"found a good example which help me finish the 8824"

Notice that is from 2006? As long as you used current tax program, you might be fine. But the rules are different.

You really should use Recent materials.

0 Cheers
RichardS77
Level 4

I have the same issue.  I'm following the the article but the system is not calculating the new basis correctly and is not deferring the gain. 

My case  is a rental property sold for 400,000 and exchanged  it for a property worth 340.000.  I din't think you had to be equal or greater than  the replacement property.  What am I missing?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I din't think you had to be equal or greater than the replacement property. What am I missing?"

Yes it does. Otherwise, your taxpayer client has a partial exchange and some money to report for taxes.

There are many web resources for 1031 exchange, and you are looking to read about partial exchange and "boot." Google:

what is 1031 exchange boot

0 Cheers
Marcia VN
Level 1

Hi,

DAScpa, would you  consider sharing your 1031 excel worksheet with me?

If yes, would you please email it to me at : [email address removed]

0 Cheers