Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter Editing

michelleloper
Level 2

Can anyone tell me where I can find a video on how to edit the client letters in ProSeries Professional?  I find that it is not very easy to do with all the codes, and maybe watching a how to video would help.  TIA

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dascpa
Level 11

I am one of the few who has created a custom letter for every individual client.  Been doing it for years.  I created my own template and then add or subtract info as each return warrants.  Clients really do appreciate non-boilerplate instruction letters.

The process is laborious in ProSeries. Some things work really well (like picking up client bank account name, routing number and account number for verification) and some are a pain in the ass (like using tabs for spacing: Maryland fits fine but District of Columbia throws the tabs off as it's too long).  

Play with it. Contact me back and I can send you a sample template but expect to spend a good 2-3 hours getting it to your liking.  And then test all scenarios (balance due e-file or non-efile, same with refund, or no tax due or refund at all).

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
dkh
Level 15

This is what Google came up with   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5l4CN3B1HE

FYI - I did not watch the video.

BobKamman
Level 15

People always laugh or criticize, or sometimes both when I mention it, but I have a client letter and bill set up in my word processing program, on my letterhead.  There are four different versions, depending on whether there is a refund or balance due on federal and state returns.   I type in the client name and the amounts -- I know this adds 30 seconds to the process, but I like the way it looks, and I can easily change the text and add personalized notes.  If my letter says allow four weeks for a refund and it seems to be taking six or eight (or twelve or fourteen) I can edit and save for all future letters.  I just think tax programs should produce tax returns, and word processing should produce letters and statements.  Others obviously think otherwise.  

dascpa
Level 11

I am one of the few who has created a custom letter for every individual client.  Been doing it for years.  I created my own template and then add or subtract info as each return warrants.  Clients really do appreciate non-boilerplate instruction letters.

The process is laborious in ProSeries. Some things work really well (like picking up client bank account name, routing number and account number for verification) and some are a pain in the ass (like using tabs for spacing: Maryland fits fine but District of Columbia throws the tabs off as it's too long).  

Play with it. Contact me back and I can send you a sample template but expect to spend a good 2-3 hours getting it to your liking.  And then test all scenarios (balance due e-file or non-efile, same with refund, or no tax due or refund at all).