Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length of time to process refund

snowshoe
Level 2

I know the general length of time to process refunds, however, I can't find out if there is an amount of refund that causes that timeline to change.

Most of my clients have gotten refund pretty quickly.  I have a few who are still showing as processing.  Nothing to weird with their returns.  The only similarities that I can't figure out (based on who has called to inquire) are folks that are getting high refund amounts (variety of eitc (not all), ctc, possibly not all eip & claim of different child than last year( as in parents who switch years).  I initially thought it was all returns sent on a specific date (2/15)- but it looks like it may have spread over more days.  They are showing on IRS WMR app as processing, but a month seems like a long time.

Anyone else having similar or have knowledge about what's 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Large refundable credits or large amounts of withholding can cause a return to be scrutinized more carefully, especially if they were filed really early in the filing season (when most fraud happens).

Forgetting the 1095A will hang up a return for months before they send a letter, ID Verification is another random thing that causes delays and can be months before the  letter arrives.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

If your sample is people calling you about large refunds, you need to look also at the people who are getting small refunds and therefore are not anxious about speed.  

0 Cheers