Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last "Official" Appointment

dascpa
Level 11

Just had my last "official" appointment of tax season.  In theory I'm not accepting any more returns (yeah, like that will happen) as of the last Saturday in March.  Now three weeks to work on the zillions of returns piled up.

11 Comments 11
PATAX
Level 15

In theory I am not taking new clients either. But a guy stopped over a few days ago whose wife just died from cancer and he has it too. So I agreed to do the return. Sometimes you have to be a little compassionate.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I stopped accepting returns on February 30th but they keep coming, and coming.  Once upon a time, we would get dumped on every Monday and as the week went on the the numbers would decrease.  Lately the day of the week doesn't matter, the deluge just continues all week long.

Slava Ukraini!
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

It has been a weird year.  It was late start because I told them to wait for letters for stimulus and advance CTC.  Then it started building and never stops.  1 local preparer quit this year and another is way behind.  She is still working on 2020 taxes.  New guy tried to come here but we said we need 2020 copy and he said it will be April 1st until she gets it done.

The good thing is I can be really selective.  For instance we ask who referred you not to give the present client a discount but to find out if we trust and want the referral.  I think I will have the same number as last year about the middle of next week, but I still keep taking appointments and drop offs.  I don't know what the rest of you besides IRMN are thinking but I don't like to work in the summer or fall.

Taxprohere
Level 7

My backlog is now 3.5 weeks, I have an excel spreadsheet that generates the projected 'promise' date which I have to adjust as time goes on.  Looking at my in-office appts and remote work, think I'm calling it too!  Extensions for any clients contacting me from tomorrow onward.

dascpa
Level 11

You're just not working hard enough.  If you're working less than 26 hours a day, 7 days a week you're a slacker.....

Seriously, how do you do that?  I would really like to know.  Do you just say you are putting them on extension?  Or do you say "go elsewhere this year"?   Do you have your clients trained to get the stuff in by now?  If so, how did you do that?

I'll have people calling on and expecting to see me on the last weekend.  It is so aggravating!   

When I was younger, I got pissed any year the deadline was April 16th or 17th because of a weekend.  Now, I really wish they would extend this year until May 15th.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Im still accepting appointments until the 8th and then its drop offs only. I've accepted a couple new ones.....I must be mental. 

dascpa
Level 11

I started this cutoff about 15 years ago.  It really took hold when I started using an online appointment scheduler (Appointy) about 10 years ago that is linked to my website.  Now I can block off all time after the last weekend in March.  Except for a few elderly the online appointment scheduler has bee wonderful to work with.

Also, on my annual Jan 1 mailing to clients I put in big bold letters about my cutoff.

Does it work?  99% today.  I will still accept open data but I try not to schedule unless you contacted me ahead and explained you were going through a medical procedure, your Guinea Pig died, etc.

I am down to a 1-man practice. My long-term employee moved away and last year my replacement who was front-line infantry in Iraq could no longer work due to being scared of Covid.  This year I had five applicants (one from Pakistan, India, North Carolina (I'm in MD) a truck driver and a waitress.  The ad said it was not a remote job.

After my cutoff for those that do want me to prepare I give them three options: go elsewhere, file an extension or I'll see if I can fit it in, but with no guarantees.  Truth is, I've never filed an individual extension because I couldn't get to it.  But at age 62 and doing this for 40 years I'm getting really tired of the 7 days, 7 nights, 14-18 hours per day.

My practice is now 25% appointments, 50% portal and 25% drop off.  I hate the portal.  It's so much extra work.  I do not work from my home and I have clients who drop off at midnight or later either thru my mail slot or they know I'll be here.

I live in a higher income area so we get a lot of people with all kinds of investments.  I see the people who do 800 1040's and go no way unless they were simple returns or kids with no kiddie tax.  I also handle a lot of businesses and that helps to kill tax season too.  I also put on my website and appointment scheduler I am no longer accepting new clients.  Helps to cut down on some of the phone calls or else I'd be doing 10,000 returns.  Anyways, good luck and back to work.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@dascpa I need to learn from you. I am 53 and in my 33rd year of prepping on my own. I would say I am 90% appointments and 10% (email, drop off). I do maybe 750 or so. Mostly middle class as I am in a blue collar town. 

I do have a few people who work for me. Mainly office work, appt scheduling, light data entry. But I am the sole preparer. I do handle a few small corps. 

I've considered online scheduling but....my schedule is a moving target. I like total control over it. 

Anyway, thanks for your info!! Good luck!!

Back to work for me too!

IRonMaN
Level 15

You need to learn from a guy that is about ready to jump off of a roof?😜

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

By Rockmaster Scott and the Dynamic Three:

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire
(We don't need no water, let the motherf--ker burn)
(Burn, motherf--ker, burn)