Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last minute rush

rcooley25
Level 11

Well boys and girls. Are things getting as crazy for you as they are for me?

9 Comments 9
dascpa
Level 11

I've posted before.  I tell clients the last Sunday of March is the last day I will accept information to start a new return.  I emailed all the remaining clients last night.  Telling them this and stating I'll help with an extension.

Got about a dozen replies so far.  Really good excuses for being late including an attempted suicide.

Someone did upload at 12:05am this pleading that I accept their info.

I have about 70 in and unstarted.  Over 100 waiting for information.  And then the businesses and trusts I need to finish before I can do the individual.

42nd year of doing this.  Haven't had a day off since before Christmas.  I'm tired, frustrated, annoyed, grumpy and would prefer not to die at my desk.  Should have been a dermatologist.  Except for an emergency pimple, no stress.........

IRonMaN
Level 15

But if that emergency pimple explodes into your eyes, you are going to have stress.  Like I have told my wife many times, no matter how bad a day you are having someone is having a much worse day.  We will survive😁

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

It souns to me like you will be well deserving of a very nice vacation.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Tonight I am changing my voice mail message to say something like..Thank you for calling. I would be happy to prepare your 2022 taxes but my schedule is completely filled between now and the deadline. If you would like me to file an extension for you please let me know and we can take care of your taxes in in late April or early May.  I have that copied in an email draft that I will be sending to email tax requests. 

dascpa
Level 11

As we know the problem with extensions (and 1st qtr estimates) is we have to have an idea of a refund or balance due.  I tell clients up front I will not accept responsibility for any underpayment / late payment penalties as they got me their information after my cut-off.  Hope I never have to test that message in court.

IRonMaN
Level 15

The vast majority of my procrastinators are just folks that have just been too busy to grab a few forms and drop them off with me.  They typically have withholding and refunds coming ---------- but they have been really, really, too busy.  They had to go on those couple of vacations and they are stressed out working 32 to 40 hours a week.  Bless their souls.

Slava Ukraini!
linda2
Level 5

Oh how I love the clients who are so-oo-oo busy they can't get their tax info together.  I'm also very fond of those who tell me they worked 60 hours ONE week and don't have time to pull info together.  What would we do without these procrastinators?  Probably take an early vacation!

dascpa
Level 11

Today's was - but we had a baby in February.  We couldn't get to it.  (It was Feb 2nd by the way).  Tough crap.  Can Mr. Roger's spell E X T E N S I O N?

IRonMaN
Level 15

I had a trust return e-mailed to me the other day from someone out of state.  In his e-mail he stated that he was sorry not getting it to me sooner because he forgot it was a trust return instead of a personal return?????  Was he going to wait a couple of more weeks if it was an individual return? 😲😲😲

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers