Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN A DEPENDENT BE CLAIMED IF HE IS INCARCERATED?

mford729844
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, a "dependent" can be claimed if he is incarcerated.

However, you would need to determine if that person actually is a "dependent" or not.  Age, income, exactly when they were incarcerated, and if the person was a full time student or not are all factors in determining dependency. 

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, a "dependent" can be claimed if he is incarcerated.

However, you would need to determine if that person actually is a "dependent" or not.  Age, income, exactly when they were incarcerated, and if the person was a full time student or not are all factors in determining dependency. 

IRonMaN
Level 15
I was afraid nobody was going to ask an incarceration question this year. :relieved::relieved:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Just go to the TurdoTax forum, there are A LOT of questions like this.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I am shocked to hear that :laughing::laughing:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
jnd2546
Level 4

IF trying to qualify an incarcerated person, age 33 ,  as a "qualifying relative", question is does the time in prison count as support provided by "someone other that the person who's trying to claim them". After all they are receiving three meals a day and health care.

That's my question.  Can you meet the >50% support test  to claim someone if they're incarcerated for 7 mos and,  whats the value of support? Do prisons provide a statement of the value of that support?

Can you ignore the dollar value of the support provided while in prison?

Thanks for any insights,

Jim D 

0 Cheers