Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

joint return - live in Maryland - only spouse has Delaware income - file separate in DE?

lyndaj0331
Level 4

I have a couple that live in MD, husband owns business in MD - had a loss this year.  Wife works in DE.  Can they file a joint federal, joint MD and separate in DE.

I have done a little research and it appears this is possible as far as the DE code, but can it be done in ProSeries? 

Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
LilFos
Level 3

I have this happen often. You might want to try it both ways. File a Del joint return. Perhaps the husbands loss will help the spouse, though it all kinda evens out in the Credit to Maryland. If you do the spouse as MFS you can just override fields that are needed and put the spouse data. Only thing their is you will have the spouse snail mail the thing in. Kinda ugly if you try to efile a return with all those overridden fields. Also is they can itemize on DE and you do a MFS you will need to prorate the number based on income to total income. At least that is what I do. 

0 Cheers