Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint Federal Separate State

Alicia1
Level 1

I am filing a MFJ federal return but need to file separate state returns since each spouse was a resident of a different state.  Can someone help me with the procedure to complete this in ProSeries Basic?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
alphy
Level 3

Assuming your state allows different filing status than federal, you can use the checkbox on the state information worksheet to designate MFS, and use that for the main taxpayer. Then you will need to create a separate file for the spouse, entering him/her as the primary taxpayer, and use that file for state purposes only. I've done that for PA. If that doesn't work for your state, another option would be to create 3 separate files--one for Federal, and 2 for states. Beware that some states don't allow for the filing status to be different from the Federal.

linette
Level 5

TRY MFJ part year resident.

First time I saw that I filed non resident returns for each state.

They filed just fine but in class Oregon representative said part year resident was better.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@linette The OP says the spouses were residents of different states.  You can't file NR or PY for someone who was a FY resident.  What @alphy suggested is technically sound and what you need to do to split the MFJ return to file MFS for states.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Greta
Level 9

I've done 3 separate files for spouses who live in Virginia and Louisiana. It was a hassle, and though I liked this client personally, I asked him to go elsewhere, it was just too much work and room for error.

0 Cheers
nichole22--
Level 1

I've tried 3 separate returns and when I try to file the states only after filing the joint Federal, I'm told the states cannot be e-filed until the federal is filed. 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@nichole22-- Unless it's a standalone state, that's the expected behavior because that state return will need to piggyback off federal.  In that case, your only option is to paper-file the state return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers