Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ive filed more extensions this year than the last 4 years combined! Is everyone else seeing more extensions this year?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

4 of them I filed in the past 3 days amounted to total tax payments of over half a million dollars!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

I have a different mix, but probably a similar amount.  Some folks are being extended who've never been before, others don't have to take the usual 9 extra months to add up their charitable contributions (standard deduction now) so I was able to do them as they sat and played with the animals.  But definitely more last-minute insanity this year.

Dear client, thanks for sending in your packet of tax information, would have been nice though if you'd included your W-2.

Autoresponder:  "I'm out of the office from November 16th through the 26th."  Um, it's April 11th.

Thanks for the 2017 1099-INT.  Might have been better if you'd given it to me last year though.  Any chance you also have one from the same bank for 2018?  Or should I just wait and look for that one next year?

Rick

View solution in original post

22 Comments 22
rbynaker
Level 13

I have a different mix, but probably a similar amount.  Some folks are being extended who've never been before, others don't have to take the usual 9 extra months to add up their charitable contributions (standard deduction now) so I was able to do them as they sat and played with the animals.  But definitely more last-minute insanity this year.

Dear client, thanks for sending in your packet of tax information, would have been nice though if you'd included your W-2.

Autoresponder:  "I'm out of the office from November 16th through the 26th."  Um, it's April 11th.

Thanks for the 2017 1099-INT.  Might have been better if you'd given it to me last year though.  Any chance you also have one from the same bank for 2018?  Or should I just wait and look for that one next year?

Rick

IRonMaN
Level 15
I’ve said it before - we all have the same clients, only their names have been changed to protect the innocent,

Slava Ukraini!
Ernie
Level 9
Things here have definitely been later than usual.  We usually only do a few tax returns the last week.  I have 13 people picking up today alone and 3 more returns coming in today.

Everything here has been extended just in case as are the ones that we talked to that we haven't seen yet.  Over 30 extensions when we usually have 5-10.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I normally only have 5-7, but Ive got 25 in my stack now and Im sure some last minute louies will still be calling!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
I have *one* that I just sent the extension voucher for $ 2.6 mill.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
whoa!   they're sending a check?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Nope...paying electronically.  And of course, CA is electronically.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
wjgutcpa
Level 4

I started with partnerships and S Corps. Way over usual amounts. Can't put just a single reason on it, some were late getting information, program problems and weather here in the Midwest. But definitely more individuals, some new clients that gave up doing their own, waiting on K-1s, and just procrastinators. They heard the tax law changes are making more people "pay" more in this year. 

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I've been filing extensions since February, so yes. There seems to be more procrastinators this year. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Nope.  I could pull together my list of extensions on January 1st and I would only be off one or two.  The same people every year seem to have April 15th sneak up on them.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

I'm probably at about the same for number of extensions.  And generally, the same people 🙂  In fact, due to file cabinet/storage issues I pulled those files in February - and most of haven't been touched since then.  Tomorrow/Sat will be extension day.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IntuitBoris
Employee
Employee

Looks like the volume of returns filed is still behind by 1-2 million (depends on the report)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2019/04/09/as-tax-day-nears-irs-reports-that-filings-r...

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
I think I have close to a half a million here to finish up and get filed by Monday.  
0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
LOLOLOLOLO
If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Is it just me or is everyone going out of town this weekend?  I got an email from a client this morning with an "oh by the way, we're leaving tomorrow morning and won't be back until Monday night."  One yesterday said they're gone until Sunday night (which, to me, meant I could move them to the bottom of the stack since there's no point in finishing it today or tomorrow!)
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
I've had a lot of that....this week is spring break around here so  kids out of school & everyone leaves town to find some good weather/sun.
Those returns will get finished Sunday (as in, bottom of the pile for now).
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
yes!  lots of people heading out of town this weekend

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
Quite a few here too.
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

My extensions look about the same as last year but the number of last minute people seems to have increased. 

0 Cheers
IntuitBoris
Employee
Employee

Everybody gets an extension!!!!

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Hmm...I'd rather have the car.
0 Cheers
TiredFarmer
Level 7