Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

None of my Proseries programs will open?!?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I double click the icon and little blue wheel spins for a couple seconds then nothing...Task manager doesn't even show them as a running application.

Any ideas?  Worked fine last week, computer has been off since Friday

Ive got clients coming in less than an hour.

If I have to reinstall 2018-2009 I think I just might cry! 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

Did you go through a windows update, that would be my first thought or possibly AV blocking the program from launching.  

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
41 Comments 41
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

Did you go through a windows update, that would be my first thought or possibly AV blocking the program from launching.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Its a failing harddrive...now that I think back to last tax season, I saw some warning signs that I chalked up to a random windows things, cursed Microsoft and ignored it!

I cant seem to download 2011 or 2012, they show up in my 2012 years and prior link on my dashboard when I log in, but when I click the Download button, the web page turns solid white, an .exe file name shows up down in the lower left corner of the page, but no download ever happens.

2013 downloaded, it appeared to get stuck on the last installation screen, but an icon appeared on my desktop, so I clicked it and it took me through set up and appears to be working (I haven't tested it yet).

I doubt I'll need to prepare any 2011 or 2012 returns, and I think I have PDFs of all my client returns, but I'd like to have them installed if possible.   @Ashley at Intuit (aka Henry Jr)  can someone push me a download of 2011 and 2012 or double check on the file that's its trying to download from....maybe a typo in the file name?  Its quite a long file name.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
2011 and 2012 don't seem to start with the CoreInstaller file like the newer years do.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

(did ya' reboot :smiling_imp:).

Sorry couldn't resist - but I hope it gets fixed ASAP for you { hug }.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
First thing I did   :frowning:  :cry::frowning: :cry:

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
of course it was...
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
2012 opens but then sits with a spinning blue circle and says Not Responding.  MY home computer just started making racket last night, I think the fan is going out in that....now my office computer has problems too...this is terrible!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
guess I should be thankful that its not Mid March!  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Do your other programs work or is it only a ProSeries issue?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I don't have many other programs installed here at work.  Just checked and Word opens, but then hangs on attempting to exit...and my accounting program opens then hangs with no response....maybe my hard drive is going out.   Time to go shopping!

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
:+1::+1:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
I don't think you can get a new computer in the next 45 minutes....unfortunately.
I ordered a new one for the office, & one John to use at home over Black Friday/Cyber Monday.  They are still in their cozy boxes.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
@Ashley at Intuit (aka Henry Jr)   if I cant use the Backup option in Proseries to save my client files I'll lose all my PPR info for my business returns (individuals are unlimited)...I wonder if the file that Carbonite saves keeps the PPR info?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive already contacted my clients for today and canceled the appointments.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Is it really cold in your office?  I've had that create issues (but, I am up in the mountains and it can drop really low overnight in the office...)
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Its been colder.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Copying all my PS data folders over to a flashdrive….any other files I should grab from Proseries...something in the Common folder maybe?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Nortons is telling me that "computer performance improvements are needed"....after I get all my necessary stuff backed up, I'll let Nortons take a run at it....

0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
I have a laptop I normally use only for travel, with PS (recent years).  Not sure I can print from it, but calcs work.  Normally, I would wait to print until back to my home office.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Nortons gave me false hope :cry:   My usual local pace to buy my computers and printers, the owner lost his home in the CA wildfires in 2017 and he shut his business down.  Guess its off to Best Buy!:cry:

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
I buy from the Dell website - either the regular site where you can customize, or the outlet site for scratch/dent ones. And occasionally from CostCo depending on what they have.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I have been buying off of the Dell website for 20 - 25 years.  I have been happy with the product and happy with customer service for the few times over the years that I had to deal with them.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Sucks, Lisa. I feel your pain and as you said, thankfully its not mid-season. Good luck! :kissing_heart::kissing_heart:
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Went to besy buy, got pretty knowledeable “kid” to help me.  If what I bought goes on sale cheaper before Jan 12, theyll price match!  Picked up a new touchscreen laptop for my receptionist, and Office 365.  No interest for 18 months, and if for some reason I dont like either of them, I can return them by Feb 12.  So I think the office is set for awhile.
Now I need to tear apart my home computer and see if its the fan making all the racket inside...fingers crossed I dont have to replace that whole computer too!

0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
So sorry Lisa.  if you want to email me, happy to help you any way i can get you up and running.  I'm in the office until 6pm tomorrow (eastern time)
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Let me know how that touch screen works for you. I find it annoying that when I point at something for the client the damn computer thought I was telling it to do something. You need to learn how to point, but don't touch!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
He said you can use it like a regular laptop or a tablet with touchscreen, and it will be at the front reception desk so I probably wont use it much myself, so we’ll see what happens.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Glad you're back up & running....are you having to download all those prior years?  Yuk

I like to be in that loop too.  I almost bought a touchscreen for John but decided to stay with the regular old desktop routine.  He had Dell laptop that was nothing but trouble (for him...).
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
I think the touch screen is also heavier, if you are gonna be totein' it around.  Google and I found this article https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/dont-buy-a-touch-screen-laptop

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
George,

Oh good, it's not just me.  Cheryl has a Surface and I'm always getting a little too close when pointing at things!

Lisa,

Late to the party but +1 to lots of advice here.  AV would have been my first go-to for troubleshooting.  Also, with 2018/17/16 software it needs to connect to the Internet for the authentication.  So try running 2015 ProSeries.  If that works then I'd suspect the problem is that PS cannot connect to the auth server (which sends us to network/firewall troubleshooting).  It does have a pretty good fall-back protocol, if you unplug the network (and/or disable the wifi) then PS recognizes that you're not connected to the Internet and then you may be able to authenticate "offline" with cached information.

I'm also a fan of Dell computers, most of which have been purchased directly from Dell (I like to customize and crank up the amount of memory as high as it will go for work computers).  The latest Dell (personal use) I did get from Costco and it has a touchscreen that I mostly forget about.

Rick
0 Cheers
See if the program is running in the background. If so, close it and restart. Solved my problem
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
"...Task manager doesn't even show them as a running application."
Per the original post, Lisa tried that.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
All my programs were dead in the water. Word was stuck in a nonresponding mode that task manger couldnt even shutdown.
Just got to the office this morning, got everything all set up and plugged in and I got NO power to the tower! Tried a different power cord and a different outlet, still nothing. I dont see any other buttons or switches that I might have missed UGH! Got an hour before best buy opens  and I can go and make a scene!
Guess Ill see if I have better luck with the laptop until then.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
The best advice I can give to you at this time --------------------- don't buy any lottery tickets this week.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
All I can say my dear....better now than March.   
Be gentle with that kid at Best Buy.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Laptop set up easy!  Almost time to call BestBuy, maybe Im just being dumb and missing something, but in my experience when you plug a tower in and hit the power button, something should happen!

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
"but in my experience when you plug a tower in and hit the power button, something should happen!"

It did - you got pissed at Best Buy!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I haven't owned a tower in years but there was a time when there could be a power switch on the power supply (near where you plug the cable into the computer) AND one on the front of the computer.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
geek squad couldn't make it work either, (they got power to the tower, but no video display)....so I got a whole new system....seems to be working, I'm on it now!   Now off to reinstall my life! LOL

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
:+1::+1:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
:+1:   Glad there wasn't any egg on your face, but too bad you had to make an extra trip.:+1:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers