Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITIN Rejections due to non attachment of Federal tax return

wmtsang
Level 3

Anybody is experiencing any issues with ITIN rejections? We are attaching all the federal tax return and signed sending them with ITIN application. But we are getting lot of  rejections saying attach signed US federal return. We are attaching it.  Doing everything, all rejections have the same letter.

Any thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
8 Replies 8
Terry53029
Level 12
Level 12

You cannot e-file, see this link for all instructions. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-i-apply-for-an-itin

Mail your W-7, tax return, proof of identity, and foreign status documents to:

Internal Revenue Service
Austin Service Center
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX [social security number removed]

Eddie903
Level 3

Are you a CAA? So far we haven't had any issues this year unless a return wasn't attached. 

icris04
Level 3

@Eddie903 Hi... here joining the conversation... I just submitted my application to IRS to be a CAA. Does your comment meant itin applications can be submitted electronically using INTUT? Or just still by mail the whole package? thanks in advance for the clarification. 

Gracias! 

Eddie903
Level 3

Didn't notice this, you still have to mail in the whole packet but you wouldn't have to mail in Passport or any identifying documents for taxpayer or spouse. 

icris04
Level 3

thank you Eddie,

I had to send clients to other tax preparers ( because I didn't have my CAA) to renew ITINS and they were having the same issues described in the original post. 

I just this week got my final documentation and been approved to be CAA! I hope no to have the same issues. 

Gracias! 

icris04
Level 3

Hi Eddie,

looking for an advise. Once taxpayer have received letter that their ITIN has been approved, should I sent their returns electronically?, or should I assume their return was processed when they sent the whole package for ITIN renewal application (which includes a copy of the income tax declaration). Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Gracias 🙂

0 Cheers
Eddie903
Level 3

A tax return is required with the ITIN renewal, IRS is SUPPOSED to forward the tax return with the correct ITIN numbers and process the return so no need to efile another return.  

icris04
Level 3

Thank you. 

0 Cheers