Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do determine adjusted basis in property when client has not kept records of capital improvements?

How do you determine gain or loss on sale of property when client does not have records of capital improvements

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxMonkey
Level 8

It would be improper to increase the basis in property without any substantiation.  You need to help you client substantiate any increases in basis that would be appropriate.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
TaxMonkey
Level 8

It would be improper to increase the basis in property without any substantiation.  You need to help you client substantiate any increases in basis that would be appropriate.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

No records equals zero basis.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
When you tell them that they usually come up with something.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
I did submit family photos in an IRS audit on sale of home. They moved to a new tract of homes and the field mice ate most of their receipts. We have original purchase documents and photos of the backyard without the addition and with the addition. The old kitchen at Thanksgiving and the new kitchen years later. IRS did accept reasonable estimations of work done over the 30+ years the client lived there.
I had another audit with a plastic bag full of moldy receipts. I kept them in a banker box in preparation for the audit. Yellowjackets nested inside the box and added to the grossness of the documents. IRS settled for a reasonable estimation (Schedule C, cost of goods sold paid in cash at a vegetable stand).
No records does not mean NO records.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
Sure, George, but YOU can't make up the numbers.
** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers