Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar credit, does the solar installation need to be complete before they can get credit?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Clients are installing solar, contractor just told them he can't get it done until 2019. If they are in contract and have a deposit with the contractor in Dec 2018, can that qualify for 2018 credit, or are they looking at 2019 credit?

They also have "a friend" that just had solar installed and told them if they put a roof (they want a regular comp roof, not asphalt or metal) on at the same time, they can get credit for a portion of the roof included in the credit….maybe the friend is talking about some other type of credit from the power company or maybe the installation company fudged around the numbers and shuffled some of the roof cost into the solar or something like that, I'm not finding anything about part of the roof qualifying for solar tax credit.

I think they have to wait for 2019 to get tax credit and they're SOL on the roof costs....anyone concur?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't think a deposit is quite going to get the mission accomplished.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't think a deposit is quite going to get the mission accomplished.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

I concur with you.  I think they are just really pushing for a sale and saying what they have to to get it.

0 Cheers
Mt-Juliet--CPA
Level 3

It would be a 2019 credit

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

I'd have to dig into my CPE archives, but I *think* I remember that  IF  there's a portion of the roof that has to be structurally improved/altered to handle the weight of the panels, THAT part can be included.

But we have a long time to research it, as I agree that the credit can't be taken until the solar panels are in service...so 2019.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Right, I explained that if the existing roof structure wont handle the solar and needs to be beefed up or altered in some way to carry the load...but not the actual roofing that they're installing anyhow.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Maybe it's time to tell that client to have either the "friend" or the solar company sign off on the tax return :smiling_imp::smiling_imp:
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
Good suggestion!
0 Cheers