Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I received an 1099-R from a retirement plan in the Estate's EIN. Is there a way to get the withholding to flow to the K-1 beneficiaries so that they get credit ?

joel-scheuher
Level 1

Taxpayer's Estate received a 1099-R for a retirement plan that included withholding. I have the income flowing to the beneficiaries on the K-1. The beneficiaries would like to avoid having to making a large estimated payment and get credit for the withholding.  Is there a way to get the withholding to flow to the K-1s for the beneficiaries also?  If so, how do I report on the 1041? Do I put $0 on line 24e and the withholding amount on line 13B of the "Amounts to Allocate to Schedules K-1 Wks?" Will this cause a mis-match issue?

If not, do I file the 1041 showing the withholding, wait for the refund, then distribute to the beneficiaries?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

The treatment is codified in §643.  Allocation of withholding to beneficiaries is limited in its application to subsection (d) for backup withholding governed by §3406 and, by election, under subsection (g) for estimated tax payments made by the trust.

You are not allowed to allocate regular withholding to beneficiaries.  The only exceptions would be (1) where it is a grantor trust and (2) where a person other than the estate has the right to receive amounts of IRD.

§31(a) stipulates that amounts withheld as tax under chapter 24 of the Code "shall be allowed to the recipient of the income as a credit against the tax imposed by" subtitle A (income tax).  Since the trust is subject to income tax under §1(e) with deduction for DNI, any such credit is allowable only to the trust as §31 and its regulations do not provide for any mechanism for allocation to beneficiaries.  This position is clearly stated in CCA 200644018 and in the filing instructions for F.1041.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
itonewbie
Level 15

The treatment is codified in §643.  Allocation of withholding to beneficiaries is limited in its application to subsection (d) for backup withholding governed by §3406 and, by election, under subsection (g) for estimated tax payments made by the trust.

You are not allowed to allocate regular withholding to beneficiaries.  The only exceptions would be (1) where it is a grantor trust and (2) where a person other than the estate has the right to receive amounts of IRD.

§31(a) stipulates that amounts withheld as tax under chapter 24 of the Code "shall be allowed to the recipient of the income as a credit against the tax imposed by" subtitle A (income tax).  Since the trust is subject to income tax under §1(e) with deduction for DNI, any such credit is allowable only to the trust as §31 and its regulations do not provide for any mechanism for allocation to beneficiaries.  This position is clearly stated in CCA 200644018 and in the filing instructions for F.1041.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Tambren
Level 3
Is withholding reported on a 1099-R always considered backup withholding?
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
No

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15
It's the other way round.  Pension distribution is subject to withholding under §3405 and excepted from backup withholding pursuant to §31.3406(g)-2(c).
Still an AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"do I file the 1041 showing the withholding, wait for the refund, then distribute to the beneficiaries?"

Sounds like that's the only option in this situation....I just asked the same question 2 days ago!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/questions/182324-1041-1099r-with-federal-tax-withheld

But in order to do that with a 1099R, you are probably going to have to do some overriding which could prevent e-filing.  I know that I did this years ago without any issues ------------------------------- before I was told that it couldn't be done 🙂

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
That's a 10 year old post you just referred to.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15
Yes, but it still applies.

Slava Ukraini!
bob808
Level 3

I have the same situation that you responded to and it is helpful with the withholding issue. As for the income, would I pass through the 1099R distribution to the K-1 or do I have to report the income on form 1041. Thank you.

0 Cheers