Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why when I entered a child who is 15 years old but has an ITIN number the program does not apply the new credit for other dependent (500) amount to line 12 of 1040?

athaureaux6
Level 8

I understand that for the child tax credit a SSN is required but I have read that for the new other dependent credit of 500 an itin is enough and the software does not transfer the 500 when I entered an itin in the social security space

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It is working for me (see pictures).

Did you accidentally check the second box on the Information Worksheet?

The credit is nonrefundable.  Is there income tax on Line 11 of the 1040 so the credit can be used?

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It is working for me (see pictures).

Did you accidentally check the second box on the Information Worksheet?

The credit is nonrefundable.  Is there income tax on Line 11 of the 1040 so the credit can be used?

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
As Bill helped me and @itonewbie pointed out above, is the child a resident of the US?
0 Cheers
athaureaux6
Level 8
Thank you very much. You helped me very much.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
You are welcome.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

§24(h)(4) does allow the partial credit to be claimed so long as the dependent is a resident of the US.  Although the conference report and blue book both indicate the Congressional intent to require an ITIN, this requirement has not yet been codified and will necessitate a technical correction.

If PS is not computing the credit as expected, you may want to check that you have chosen "son" or "daughter" instead of "child" for relationship or vice versa.  I use PTO and found that the credit is not computed when "child" is chosen and this triggers a critical diagnostic that the relationship is invalid but without reference to the partial credit.  Once the change is made, PTO would then compute the credit correctly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers