Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client's return rejected. Ex-spouse has child on her return, but box is not checked that the child qualifies for Child Tax Credit.

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Client's return rejected. Ex-spouse has child on her return, but box is not checked that the child qualifies for Child Tax Credit.  My client's return is rejected because the child is a dependent on another return.  is there a workaround?

I have tried many combos but can't get the child tax credit to work...…. If I click the 'Q' then it says not qualified for child tax credit.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the ex-spouse filed it incorrectly, there won't be anything you can do but to report it correctly for your client and file by mail.

Tell the client to expect an IRS notice (in about 6 months?) inquiring about it.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Is your client that is being rejected the non-custodial parent?
Did you also file the ex-spouse's tax return?
0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
I did not file the ex-spouse's return. They have been fine since the DIV (like 3 years)...and I think the spouse switched to Mo-Money Tax Service or something this year.
If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the ex-spouse filed it incorrectly, there won't be anything you can do but to report it correctly for your client and file by mail.

Tell the client to expect an IRS notice (in about 6 months?) inquiring about it.

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
I usually have one or  two disputed returns, just on the claiming the dependent.  This is the first where the fool preparing the return wanted to use the child for EIC but not claim her as a dependent, but had no clue how to do that.
0 Cheers