Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any problem with using Dropbox to backup my proconnect files? I don't need to store the original files in Dropbox.

downdog89
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

I'm no expert but here's my 2-cents...

Dropbox has made improvements over the last couple years since various vulnerabilities were reported.  You may not want to use the URL filesharing feature and enhance your Dropbox's security by encrypting your files using third-party solutions such as Boxcryptor or Cryptomator if you worry about Dropbox holding the encryption key but this could also create another set of potential issues.  Apparently, this is not as good as maintaining your own backup since you would, inevitably, lose some control given the servers and the policies are managed by Dropbox.  At the end of the day, all backup solutions will have their own pros and cons and it's a matter of what works best based on your needs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
itonewbie
Level 15

I'm no expert but here's my 2-cents...

Dropbox has made improvements over the last couple years since various vulnerabilities were reported.  You may not want to use the URL filesharing feature and enhance your Dropbox's security by encrypting your files using third-party solutions such as Boxcryptor or Cryptomator if you worry about Dropbox holding the encryption key but this could also create another set of potential issues.  Apparently, this is not as good as maintaining your own backup since you would, inevitably, lose some control given the servers and the policies are managed by Dropbox.  At the end of the day, all backup solutions will have their own pros and cons and it's a matter of what works best based on your needs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers