Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the verification code for box 9 on form W-2 required to be entered for each client W-2?

Bostonian
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Per the IRS:

"Taxpayers and tax professionals are urged to enter the verification code when prompted by software, as it can speed the processing of the return and the issuance of the refund. However, omitted and incorrect verification codes will not delay the processing of a tax return."

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

Per the IRS:

"Taxpayers and tax professionals are urged to enter the verification code when prompted by software, as it can speed the processing of the return and the issuance of the refund. However, omitted and incorrect verification codes will not delay the processing of a tax return."

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15
i.e. It is a really good idea to do it and it doesn't take that much time, so WHY NOT?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Good point and my way of thinking George, but I'm guessing someone is going to come up with the argument that they have 3000 W-2s with that on there and it takes them 8 seconds per W-2 so they are going to be spending an additional 24,000 seconds in the office this year if they do.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I tried entering them that first year they started it...I had trouble telling a zero from a letter O and constantly kept getting the dreaded red error on the entry.   Looks like this year theyre using lowercase letters on one that I saw with the code, so that should make it easier to read.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
"The only valid characters are the letters A-F and the numerals 0-9." So there should be no 0Oo confusion. Also I noted the the letters can all be entered with the left hand, while the right hand does the digits. Easy Peasy!!
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/w-2-verification-code

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
rsb
Level 1

where is the verification code inputted?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You don't say which software, but it is on the W-2 worksheet in ProSeries - you just have to look for it carefully.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

This thread is obsolete.  The program was cancelled for 2019.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I only had one or two clients that ever had it so I wouldn't have even caught that expiration date 😁

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rsb
Level 1

OH OKAY THX. 

0 Cheers