Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amending 2017 tax return I did not prepare

tbanks
Level 2

I have a client that did not include the 1098-T in her 2017  tax return. She wants to now include it which would increase her refund by $1,712. I inputted all the information for the 1040X but the refund monitor does not show a refund and also it has DO NOT FILE on it. How do I generate the 1040X so I can have it signed and mail it to the IRS? Am I doing something wrong?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The 1040X for 2018 isn't final or available to print yet.  Looks like 2/14 is the magic date    You should use the 2017 program for it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
Accountant-Man
Level 12
How did you enter it? First, enter the return As Originally Filed. THEN open the 1040 X. THEN add the 1098 T.
** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The 1040X for 2018 isn't final or available to print yet.  Looks like 2/14 is the magic date    You should use the 2017 program for it.

0 Cheers
tbanks
Level 2
Is that acceptable? I just don't want to mess up anything
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I always use the program year for the year of the amendment.  2017 amendment I use the 2017 program.   2015 amendment I use the 2015 program.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Since the 2017 program has the 2017 deductions and brackets, but the 2018 program has 2018 deductions and brackets, YOU CAN'T USE 2018 TO AMEND 2017. It's that simple.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive always wondered about that..it asks for the tax year at the top, but does it use that tax years deductions and such??  I never tried to chance it, and have always used the program for the year that's being amended.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I think if you're amending a different year than the tax software, it is possible but then the software just becomes a typewriter for the 1040X.  I've never done it that way and I'm not sure why anyone would want to.  Most of the 1040X returns I file have to have the updated/corrected forms & schedules attached and you're only going to get those from the correct year's software.
0 Cheers